This episode is about all things pregnancy, birth, and postpartum, but not in the usual way. Instead of just focusing on baby, we are taking a close look at our journey as moms through of all these life-changing stages.
My guest is Diana Spalding, a digital educator and editor at Motherly. She also happens to be a certified nurse-midwife, a pediatric nurse, a TEDx speaker, a mom of three, and the author of a great book called The Motherly Guide to Becoming Mama.
We leave no stone unturned in this wide-ranging conversation about all things motherhood. Enjoy!
Episode Highlights With Diana Spalding
- How Diana’s work as a midwife led to the creation of the hugely popular blog Motherly
- What a midwife or doula can add to a birth experience
- Advice for navigating health choices during pregnancy and labor
- The role of mental health in fertility, family planning, and birth
- Commonly overlooked things you can do to improve pregnancy and birth
- Proactive ways to avoid burnout and thrive as a mother (and why so many of us struggle)
- Natural and science-based options for family planning and how they measure up
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Diana Spalding @ Motherly
- @Gathered Birth
- The Motherly Guide to Becoming Mama by Diana Spalding
- Infections and Inequalities: The Modern Plagues by Paul Farmer
- Taking Charge of Your Fertility: The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control by Toni Weschler
More From Wellness Mama
- 279: Making a Personalized Birth Plan With Dr. Elizabeth Pearce
- 83: Beating Postpartum Depression & Pelvic Floor Care with Dr. Jolene Brighten
- 223: Mindset for Moms: Tips to Get More Done & Stress Less This Year
- 76: How to Optimize Your Pregnancy and Birth Experience with Mama Natural Genevieve Howland
- 88: Pregnancy Exercise, Diastasis, and Pelvic Floor Health with Lorraine Scapens
- What Moms Really Need Today (And Every Day)
- An Open Letter to Moms on Mother’s Day
- Shattering Six Common Pregnancy and Childbirth Fears
- My Healing Birth
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by Beekeeper’s Naturals. Beekeeper’s is on a mission to reinvent your medicine cabinet with clean remedies that actually work. One of my secret weapons is their B.LXR brain fuel, which is a caffeine free alternative for morning energy drinks, with some additional benefits. I take these little shots with me when I travel and use them when I need to be especially focused for podcasts or interviews or on the days I know I’ll be pole vaulting or having important conversations with my kids and I want to be really present and focused. B.LXR is really cool as it has royal jelly which is what bees feed to the growing queen in the hive, which feels appropriate since many days my house feels as busy as a bee hive! When I want to be my sharpest, coffee isn’t always the best solution because I can get jittery. B.LXR is like a productivity shot that delivers the same focus without the caffeine and it can lead to a healthier brain over time. It’s also packed with science-backed adaptogens like royal jelly, ginkgo and some other herbs that help you get in the zone while supporting brain health. We could all use a little extra support right now B.LXR is your brain fuel. I also really recommend trying their propolis throat spray for immune and all over support. We use this daily as a first line of defense and also at the first sign of tickly throat or sniffles. To upgrade your medicine cabinet and save 15% on your first order, go to beekeepersnaturals.com/wellnessmama. Meet your new medicine cabinet with Beekeeper’s Naturals.
This podcast is sponsored by Wellnesse, my new personal care company that creates products that go beyond just safe and natural and contain beneficial ingredients that nourish from the inside in. Many “clean” products simply don’t work. This is why I have spent the last decade researching and perfecting recipes for products that not only eliminate toxic chemicals but also have ingredients that work better than the conventional alternatives by your body from the outside in. I’m so excited to share these products with you and am especially proud of our whitening toothpaste which took years of formulating and dozens of rounds of tweaks to perfect. Our whitening toothpaste supports a healthy oral microbiome and strengthens tooth enamel naturally using ingredients such as hydroxyapatite, neem, and green tea to support tooth and gum health. Instead of fluoride, our formula contains green tea leaf extract, which is loaded with antioxidants. Plus, a phytochemical in green tea is shown to fight bacteria that leads to tooth decay. We combined this with hydroxyapatite (a naturally-occurring mineral and the main component of tooth enamel) with clinical studies that showing it can strengthen teeth and prevent cavities. Of course, fresh breath is paramount to good teeth brushing, and for that, we included peppermint leaf extract and neem. Neem prevents bacteria from sticking to teeth and turning into plaque. This protective measure means fewer bacteria, which leads to…fresher breath! Check out our whitening toothpaste along with all of our hair products at wellnesse.com and a tip – if you buy a bundle or auto-ship, you will receive a discount!