Debra Atkinson is a life coach and master personal trainer who helps women embrace their 50s and beyond with vitality and energy, especially during and after menopause. Debra shares her inspirational message through her website FlippingFifty.com, which offers exercise programs and health coaching specifically for women over 50 wanting to look or feel their best.
I love how Debra views the aging process not as something avoid but as a natural part of life and just another stage to live to our fullest potential. It makes so much sense and is a refreshing answer to all the pressures society puts on us as women to “hide” signs of aging.
Debra Atkinson on Exercise After 50
In addition to bringing over 30 years of health and fitness expertise to the table, Debra has authored hundreds of articles and four books, including You Still Got it Girl! The After 50 Fitness Formula for Women and Navigating Fitness After 50: Your GPS for Choosing Programs and Professionals You Can Trust. She often writes about the exercise-hormone connection, strength training, and other fitness and health topics especially important to women.
The fact is, there are things we can be doing in our 20s, 30s, and 40s to set ourselves up for an active, healthy life down the road. I’m looking forward to learning from Debra what I can be doing now to prepare for the years ahead!
In This Episode You’ll Learn
- proactive ways to flip aging on its head and exude joy, health, and beauty at any age
- myth-busting facts about menopause, exercise, and nutrition after the big 5-0
- getting the most out of diet and exercise in your 50s and beyond (and why it’s different from your 20s, 30s, and 40s)
- exercise mistakes women over 50 (and women in general) might make
- the simple way to improve health habits (and actually stick with it)
- why it’s a myth that metabolism has to change after menopause
- which population is most prone to problems as they age, and why
- why sleep and stress management might be more important than even diet and exercise
- why you actually exercise better when you’re under pressure and have no time!
- a new way to get beyond exercise resistance and embrace it as a way of life … even if you never have before
- how to match exercise to your cortisol levels (and how to tell if you have a hormone imbalance)
- why strength training might be the best thing a woman can do after 50 (or at any age!)
- specific ways to keep your mobility as you age (rather than losing it)
- the body chemistry that causes us gain belly fat as we age … and how to fight it
- a beginning weight training routine for women over 50 (and how to progress)
- what women over 50 should eat … and why when you eat is just as important
- changes you can make now to be your best self at every age
- why Debra prescribes rest and relaxation as much as she does exercise
- and more!
Resources We Mention
Follow Debra Atkinson at FlippingFifty.com
Books by Debra Atkinson:
More from Debra:
Sleep Yourself Skinny with Diet and Exercise Changes (Flipping 50 TV Episode)
More from Wellness Mama:
Why Sleep Is More Important than Diet and Exercise Combined (Interview with Shawn Stevenson)
How to Get Glowing Skin at Any Age (Interview with Dr. Trevor Cates)
My Favorite Gym Equipment:
Gorilla Gym (for kids)
How are you preparing for life after 50? Will you try these tips from Debra Atkinson? Join in the conversation by leaving a podcast rating or commenting below!
Special Thanks to Today’s Sponsors
This episode is sponsored by Four Sigmatic. You’ve heard me talk about Four Sigmatic before because I love their coffees, teas, and hot chocolates. These are not ordinary drinks. They’re delicious combinations of coffee, cocoa, and adaptogen herbs, now with the benefits of Chaga, Cordyceps, and Lion’s Mane for an extra brain boost and clean energy. My long time favorite is their instant coffee but lately I’ve also really been enjoying their caffeine free blends. Try out all of these delicious drinks at foursigmatic.com/wellnessmama and make sure to use the code WELLNESSMAMA to get 15% off of your order.
This podcast is also brought to you by Morrocco Method Hair Care. You’ve probably heard me talk about them before, but these natural hair care products turn regular hair care on its head (pun intended). Instead of harsh detergents to strip away hair’s natural oils, not to mention artificial fragrances and dyes that can harm your hair and scalp over time, Morrocco Method uses nourishing ingredients that actually feed the hair and scalp and promote hair growth and healthy oil production. And for me, they have led to stronger hair. I’m especially fond of their new dry shampoo, which is similar to the DIY recipe that I’ve made forever but has some added beneficial ingredients. You can check out all of their products at https://wellnessmama.com/go/morrocco-method/ and make sure to save 15% with the discount code WM2017.