“Self-care” is quite the buzzword these days! While I’m glad we’re having the discussion as a culture, I think it’s safe to say that we moms are still trying to figure out the problems as well as the answers. Chrissa Benson is the founder of the amazing Physical Kitchness blog and programs, which she founded to help busy women reduce overwhelm and live our best healthiest lives.
Chrissa has two boys, ages two and four, and she’s married to an active duty marine, so she’s definitely a mom in the real-life trenches! Her mission is simple, but so powerful: to help women to take care of themselves so that they can take care of their families. I love her blog because she has such a unique mix of her truth talk, mom life humor (which she’s amazing at) and the practical nuts and bolts like simple recipes, meal planning hacks, and effective home workouts.
Episode Highlights With Chrissa Benson
- Why this is such a unique time for moms, with incredible opportunities but also pressure
- Small daily routines Chrissa uses to make meal planning easier
- Why finding a creative outlet might be the most important kind of self-care
- How to choose what to say “no” to (so you can say “yes” to the right things)
- Her best tips for getting picky eaters to eat protein and veggies
- Simple ways to get to the root of cravings and emotional eating
- How to find balance in a world where everyone says you need to have self-care but you are expected to do all the things
- A new way of looking at self-care
- Tips for fitting in exercise no matter how busy life gets
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Club Kitchness Membership
- 30 Minute Real Food Meal Revolution
- The Picky Eater Blueprint
- Book: Present Over Perfect: Leaving Behind Frantic for a Simpler, More Soulful Way of Living by Shauna Niequist
More From Wellness Mama
- 299: How Serenity Kids Is Revolutionizing the Baby Food Industry
- 230: How to Protect Your Mindset & Live a Balanced Life: Chalene Johnson’s Story
- 223: Mindset for Moms & Tips to Get More Done & Stress Less This Year
- 196: How the Modern World Is Changing Our Hormones (& How to Create a Balance Plan)
- 192: How to Avoid Rushing Woman Syndrome & Balance Hormones With Dr. Sonya Jensen
- 176: Heather Chauvin on Letting Go of Mom Guilt, Ending Tantrums, & Mindful Discipline
- Talking to Yourself With Self-Compassion (& Why It’s Healthy)
- Tips to Naturally Reduce Stress… Starting Now!
- Favorite TED Talks for Moms, Kids & Family
- An Open Letter to Moms on Mother’s Day
- What Moms Really Need Today (And Every Day)
- How to Balance Business and Family Life (& Succeed at Both)
- Healthy Finger Foods for Toddlers (Even Picky Ones)
- The Ultimate Guide to Meal Planning (for Families)
What do you think moms need most? Have you found ways to live your best life? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thank You to Today’s Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by Pelvic Pain Relief. Isa Herrera is one of my most favorite people and her Pelvic Pain relief system has helped countless women. Let’s be real for a second. Having kids can be tough on your pelvic floor health. And even if you haven’t had a child, there are many things that can cause pelvic disfunction or discomfort. If you’ve ever leaked urine as you laugh, cough, sneeze, or jump, it may be a sign that your pelvis could use some help. The good news is that these types of problems can be helped and that is exactly what Isa helps women with! In fact, I can say that after carrying six babies, I can jump on the trampoline with them or run around to play capture the flag (or sneeze when they bring home a cold) without worrying about leaking urine, but I know many women who struggle with these activities. If you ever have, you’ve got to check out Isa’s free masterclass which teaches things like: how to stop the bathroom trips, improve your posture, and put the fire back into your sexy with a super easy stretch (that you can do in just 30 seconds, anywhere, anytime). She also explains why kegels might be causing leaking or making your pelvic pressure and pain worse, how to know if this is the case, and what to do instead. Even your doctor won’t be able to share this with you. Isa has helped almost 15,000 women to find relief and freedom. Check out this podcast Isa and I did together to learn more and claim your spot at her incredible free masterclass all about it at pelvicpainrelief.com/healing
This episode is sponsored by Butcher Box, which has been my source for high quality meat for years. ButcherBox delivers healthy 100% grass-fed and finished beef, free-range organic chicken, and Heritage breed pork directly to your door on a monthly basis. All their products are humanely raised and NEVER EVER given antibiotics or hormones. It’s hard to find high quality meat you can trust. ButcherBox is changing that. And they offer FREE shipping anywhere in the 48 States.Right now, they have a special mystery offer just for Wellness Mama podcast listeners that is so good I can’t even tell you what it is publicly. When you go to butcherbox.com/wellnessmama you save $20 on your first box plus you get a special mystery deal that you can only unlock at that link. ButcherBox carries high quality organic, pastured and grass fed meats and their bacon is a favorite with my kids! I usually create my meal plans around our monthly box by adding tons of fresh veggies from our local farmer’s market. Go to butcherbox.com/wellnessmama to get $20 off your first box + a mystery special.