It seems like there’s always a new diet to try… the keto diet, the carnivore diet, different types of fasting… the list goes on.
The question is, how do we know if any of them are actually good for us?
Today’s episode should answer a lot of questions. My guest Dr. Anthony Gustin is a board-certified sports physician, a functional medicine practitioner, and an overall food and fitness skeptic like I am. His focus recently has shifted from private practice to starting his own company, Perfect Keto and Equip.
Dr. Gustin’s mission is to create products that improve the accessibility of whole food nutrition and ketosis, and he’s the perfect person to explain a little bit more about the keto diet, how it works, and if it’s right for you.
- why not to follow one diet for too long
- the best way to fast for women
- how to do the keto diet correctly
- which diets have their place in a healthy lifestyle
- what the carnivore diet is
- how much protein we actually need
- and more!
Resources We Mention
Books We Mention
- The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat, and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet by Nina Teicholz
- Why We Get Fat & What to Do About It by Gary Taubes
- Antifragile: Things That Gain From Disorder by Nassim Taleb
- The Plant Paradox: The Hidden Dangers in “Healthy” Foods That Cause Disease & Weight Gain by Dr. Steven Gundry
- The 4-Hour Workweek by Tim Ferriss
- 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos by Jordan Peterson
More From Wellness Mama
- 116: How to Reboot Your Metabolism Using the Keto Reset Diet With Mark Sisson
- 145: Algae: The Keto & Vegan Superfood with More Nutrients Than Veggies (& Where to Get It)
- 143: Thomas DeLauer on Reducing Inflammation, Curcumin, Keto for Women, & Easy Weight Loss
- How to Do a Ketogenic Diet (& Is It Safe for Women?)
- 7 Day Keto Meal Plan for Women (Ideas + Easy Recipes)
- How to Make Chocolate Peanut Butter Fat Bombs (Keto Friendly)
- Why You Should Never Eat Vegetable Oil or Margarine
Have you ever tried the keto diet? Please let me know how it worked for you! Also, please take two minutes to leave a review on iTunes. I value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well!
Special Thanks to Today’s Sponsors!
This podcast is brought to you by Kettle and Fire. You may already know that this is my go-to bone broth because it is shelf-stable, easy to use, and delicious. But you may not know that Kettle and Fire just released brand new bone-broth based soups, which make it even more convenient to eat healthy on the go plus they save a lot of time when you’re trying to feed the whole family on a busy night. They have miso, tomato, and butternut soups and they are all really, really good. Plus, they have a 20-hour slow simmer process for their broth that extracts insane amounts of protein, 10g per serving. This process creates a collagen-rich broth that is great for hair, skin, and nails. Right now, you can save 10% by going to KettleandFire.com/mama (the discount is already built in!).
This episode is brought to you by Mother Dirt. Did you know that there is a microbiome on your skin, or at least there should be? As the body’s larger organ, our skin is also the body’s largest ecosystem, and many modern products interfere with or deplete the natural beneficial bacteria that should be there. So how do we get it back? Mother Dirt’s AO+ Mist restores the good bacteria that once existed on our skin naturally, but modern hygiene practices have wiped it away. Think of it as a probiotic and prebiotic for your skin. I’ve been using it for years and it is a vital part of my skin care routine. In fact, 60% of Mother Dirt AO+ Mist users are able to stop using deodorant altogether because the patented AOB consumes the ammonia in sweat and 66% of users find that they take shorter showers, and cut out an average of 2.5 products from their routine! You can save 20% on your first purchase on motherdirt.com/wellnessmama with code FREESHIP20.