Years ago, I wrote about how I remineralized a small cavity in one of my teeth and I never expected the response it would get.
Now, there are dozens of comments from readers who have remineralized their own teeth, and dozens more from readers and dental professionals who claim this isn’t possible. I wanted to get to the bottom of this. I knew what worked for me, but wanted a dentist to really delve in and explain if remineralization is actually possible, and if so, how it works and the science behind it.
A Dentist’s Perspective on Remineralization
I was elated to meet Dr. Judene Benoit who uses a specialized approach to dentistry that combines the research and knowledge she learned in dental school with a holistic research-based approach to oral health. She has helped many people remineralize teeth and is the author of the book How to Stop Cavities: A Natural Approach to Prevention and Remineralization.
In this podcast, she and I delve into the difference between healing and remineralization and when each one happens as well as:
- Can cavities remineralize?
- How the body remineralizes
- How large cavities can’t actually “heal” to completely regrow their normal shape, but they can stop decay, remineralize and actually become stronger (without the need for a filling)
- Ways we can prevent tooth decay
- What cavities cannot be reversed
- The connection between oral health and overall health
- What diet and lifestyle factors to optimize for better oral health
- What Matrix Metalloproteinases are and why you need them (in moderation)
- How bacterial balance in the mouth impacts oral health and how to create good bacteria in the mouth
- The ways that hormones impact risk of tooth decay
- Is Oil Pulling safe?
Resources we Mention
- Book: How to Stop Cavities (or on Amazon)
- Dr. Judene’s website: JudeneDDS.com
- Article: How to Remineralize Teeth Naturally
- Recipe: Homemade Remineralizing Toothpaste
- Tutorial: What is Oil Pulling and Coconut Oil Pulling
- Tutorial: Coconut Oil Pulling Chews
- Dr. Judene on Facebook
Thanks as always for listening and helping to create a better future for our children that’s healthier and happier. And until next time, have a healthy week. If you have questions about anything we discussed, please leave a comment below!