We all have conscious and unconscious habits that determine our quality of life every day. It takes a lot of work and reflection to realize our own habits and their consequences, not to mention the changes we may need to make. Multiply this by every member of the family, and it can feel like a real puzzle.
James Clear is here to help in this episode all about habit-making and how certain “atomic habits” can dramatically change everything. James is author of the book Atomic Habits: An Easy and Proven Way to Break Bad Habits and Build Good Ones and he’s kind of a big deal too! He coaches Fortune 500 companies in habits, decision-making, and continuous improvement skills and his work is used by teams in the NFL, the NBA, and Major League Baseball (which is, of course, my favorite sport!).
His knowledge is perfect for families as well, and you can learn everything he teaches the top companies in the world through his online course, the Habits Academy, which has influenced more than 10,000 leaders, manager, coaches, and teachers.
Episode Highlights: Atomic Habits
- Why habits matter so much
- How little habits lead up to big change
- The reason that small changes are actually more effective than big ones in the long run
- How long it really takes to break or build a habit
- The role of environment in creating or breaking habits and how to optimize yours
- Why talent and genes don’t matter as much as we once thought
- The two-minute rule that can change your life
- How to get back on track after breaking a habit
- The most impactful habits to adopt
- Where to start if you have a lot of bad habits to break
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Atomic Habits: An Easy and Proven Way to Break Bad Habits and Build Good Habits by James Clear
- The Lessons of History by Will and Ariel Durant
- Letter from a Self-Made Merchant to His Son by George Horace Lorimer
More From Wellness Mama
- 61: An Electrifying New Way To Change Habits
- 214: Using Mindset and Personalization to Make Lifelong Health Changes With Dane Johnson
- 218: Happy New Year: 21 Tiny Habits That Can Drastically Change Your Life This Year
- 223: Mindset for Moms & Tips to Get More Done & Stress Less This Year
- 5 Healthy Habits to Adopt This Year
- How to Stay Motivated When Making Health Changes
Did you enjoy this episode? What other questions do you have about creating new habits? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thank You to Today’s Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by Genexa, the first ever organic and non-GMO medicines ever available. I love this line, created by two dads on a mission to find healthier medicines for their kids. When they couldn’t, they created their own using a patented system that doesn’t use artificial sweeteners, dyes, or preservatives. A favorite at our house is their Leg Cramp Rx homeopathic that is the perfect remedy for late-night growing pains or soreness from running 10+ miles as my kids do daily in our neighborhood. It is great for age 3 and up and I wish I’d had it when I was pregnant and used to get leg cramps! To shop their full line of organic and non-GMO medicines, go to Genexa.com/WellnessMama and use code WELLNESS for 20% off your order!
This podcast is brought to you by Thrive Market. I’ve been using Thrive Market for years, ever since they first opened. I know many of you have as well, but I wanted to make sure you’re up to date on a couple things that make them even more awesome. First, if you haven’t tried it, they have a really easy-to-use app that makes ordering easy that makes ordering online super simple. I use this all the time… download it at a link I’ll mention in a minute and use it to keep your online grocery list handy any time you need to order. Second, if you haven’t noticed, they have a bunch of secret free gifts with purchase for members only! So this means anytime you make a purchase and a free gift is available, you receive a free gift in your order. I often check back a few times a week because they’ve had some of my favorite things as a free gift with purchase. My strategy is to add things to my cart in the app as I think of them or as we run out, and then order when it reaches the free shipping amount and the gift offer I want! And last tip, make sure to check out the Thrive Market brand when you’re on the app or website because they have put a lot of time and effort into developing their own line of high quality products. The prices are amazing and Thrive brand products are now my go-to for pantry staples like grain-free flours, baking soda, nuts, sardines, tuna, and canned goods. They even have diapers! Find out more about all of these and get an extra discount on your first order at ThriveMarket.com/Katie