Meet Paul Chek, a well-renowned expert in the fields of corrective and high-performance exercise kinesiology, stress management, and holistic wellness. He’s the founder of the CHEK Institute and a coaching program by the same name, and he’s the host of the podcast, Living 4D with Paul Chek.
This conversation isn’t about just one topic, but many many interesting ones. We explore the idea that our mental belief systems and the thoughts that we have internally drastically affect our health in a very real and physical way. Paul talks about how to address some unconscious beliefs that might be holding us back, especially in terms of motherhood.
I think this is a very educational episode and probably pretty surprising. I would encourage you to listen to it with an open mind, and I’m very curious to know your opinion once you do!
Episode Highlights With Paul Chek
- How Paul got into the world of holistic health 37 years ago
- Why his day starts at 3 am
- How his system of four doctors developed and how he teaches his practitioners this process
- The four categories that no philosophy can be reduced below: Happiness, movement, diet, and quiet
- Why unbound play is so important for us all
- What control fatigue is and how to manage it, especially as a mom
- How to avoid burnout and “stinking thinking”
- The importance of your mental diet, not just the food you put in your mouth
- Why moms especially can struggle with taking care of themselves and the unconscious beliefs at the root of this
- How long-term elevated cortisol levels can lead to a cascade of thyroid and neurotransmitter issues
- What research shows on the healthiest tribes in the world and what we can learn from them
- Why to ask yourself if your belief system is worth challenging
- The “name it, blame it, tame it” technique
- Why to identify what your most important unmet task is
- Why you have a 38-60% chance of manifesting a disease you believe you have due to the nocebo effect
- How curiosity is the antidote to unconscious beliefs
- Ways to be present and impactful as a parent
- The four factors most likely to lead to addiction: perfectionism, intensity, negativity, need to know
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- CHEK Holistic Lifestyle Coaching Program Level 1 Paul Chek’s online program (Use code wellnessmama15 for 15% off)
- How to Eat, Move, and Be Healthy by Paul Chek (Use code wellnessmama15 for 15% off)
Other Books Recommended by Paul Chek
- Switch: How to Change When Change Is Hard by Chip and Dan Heath
- It Didn’t Start With You: How Inherited Family Trauma Shapes Who We Are and How to End the Cycle by Mark Wolynn
- Stalking the Wild Pendulum: On the Mechanics of Consciousness by Itzhak Bentov
What stood out to you from this episode? Did it make you reexamine some beliefs? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by Olipop, a company reinventing the idea of soda! It’s no secret that most things we think of as soda aren’t great for your body with the massive amounts of sugar and added artificial ingredients. But Olipop is a new kind of soda that tastes just like the sodas we grew up with, but unlike other sodas, it is packed with natural ingredients that are good for you and that help keep your gut happy too! They have delicious nostalgic flavors like Vintage Cola, Classic Root Beer, Orange Squeeze, Cherry Vanilla and Strawberry Vanilla. Strawberry is my current favorite but I really enjoy all of their flavors. They use functional ingredients that combine the benefits of prebiotics, plant fiber and botanicals to support your microbiome and benefit digestive health. There is also a massive difference in their sugar content. Their Vintage Cola has just two grams of sugar as compared to a regular Coca-Cola which has 39g of sugar. Their Orange Squeeze has 5g of sugar compared to Orange Fanta which has 44g of sugar. All of their products are Non-GMO, Vegan, Paleo and Keto-friendly with less than 8g net carbs per can. They are so confident that you will LOVE their products that they offer a 100% money back guarantee for orders placed through their website. We’ve worked out a special deal for Wellness Mama listeners. Save 15% off your purchase. I recommend trying their variety pack as tis is a great way to try all of their delicious flavors. Go to drinkolipop.com/wellnessmama or use code WELLNESSMAMA at checkout to claim this deal. Olipop can also be found in over 5,000 stores across the country, including Kroger, Whole Foods, Sprouts, and Wegmans.
This podcast is sponsored by Wellnesse, my natural and good for you personal care line. That’s Wellness with an “e” on the end. When I realized years ago that there weren’t any great natural personal care products that worked as well as many of the conventional options, I set out to create ones that weren’t just comparable, but better! We created haircare that nourishes and protects your hair, rather than stripping it with harsh detergents like many others. Our toothpaste works with your mouth, not against it, to develop healthy teeth and gums, and our dry shampoo is my go-to on busy days and after workouts. All products are based on the idea of working with your body and not against it, with nourishing ingredients rather than harsh detergents or chemicals. Try it and feel the difference for yourself at Wellnesse.com.