Like most of my other stir fry recipes (like beef and cabbage stir fry, Moroccan stir fry, or Chinese chicken), this spicy shrimp stir fry recipe was born on a night when I had 20 minutes to get dinner ready, nothing in the fridge, a bag of frozen shrimp in the freezer, and an abundance of fresh squash and peppers in the garden.
For this, I used a mixture of spicy and sweet peppers, but it can easily be adapted with just sweet peppers to tone down the heat. My kids ate it, and it took under half an hour from start to finish.
Spicy Shrimp Stir Fry Recipe
- Thinly slice the peppers and onions.
- Melt olive oil, coconut oil, or butter in a skillet or wok on medium-high heat.
- Toss in the onions and peppers and saute.
- While the onions and peppers are cooking, peel the squash and cut down the middle lengthwise.
- Cut the squash into long strips and then into ½ inch pieces.
- Add them to the skillet or wok.
- Saute for 10 minutes or until almost cooked.
- Throw in the defrosted, precooked shrimp.
- Stir in the spices.
- Continue cooking until the shrimp are heated.
- Add the cream cheese if using and stir well to melt.
- Serve immediately.
Great served with salad or alone. You can also add broccoli after the squash if serving alone.
What’s your favorite stir fry recipe? Share below!