Salads are one of my favorite summer foods since there are so many delicious ingredients in season and they don’t have to be heated to prepare. I’ve always had a thing for Mexican food, and while I love the restaurant fajita salads, they aren’t usually the healthiest or most frugal option.
This salad is a healthier take on the restaurant version and there are endless ways to mix it up. If you don’t do dairy, just leave it off. Like spicy? Add some hot peppers or hot sauce.
Typically, if I am gong to make this salad I either prepare crock pot chicken fajita meat ahead of time so it will be cool, or cook double of chicken for a recipe and add some salsa and seasonings to the mix. The version above uses plain baked chicken with my homemade fajita seasoning (recipe here) and some homemade salsa while baking. For a probiotic boost, I also add fermented salsa to the salad before serving.
If you’re a fan of Mexican food and are looking for a simple and refreshing meal, I’d recommend trying this one (or a variation with your favorite ingredients).
Chicken Fajita Salad
A simple and flavorful fajita salad recipe with homemade fajita seasoning and fermented salsa for a healthy and delicious quick meal. Ingredients are per-person.
- 2 cups of lettuce or salad greens (per person)
- 1/2-1 pre-cooked and marinated chicken breast (this crock pot recipe is easy to make ahead)
- 1/2 avocado
- lactofermented salsa (or regular salsa) to taste
- Optional toppings: hot peppers, homemade sour cream, raw cheese, sweet peppers, chopped onions or other salad favorites.
- Prepare chicken ahead of time and let cool. I find it easiest to make with another meal and refrigerate so it is ready to go.
- Place lettuce/greens on a plate and top with chicken breast, avocado, salsa and any other desired toppings.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
Ingredients are per person, multiply as needed for your family size.
What is your favorite Mexican recipe? Ever made your own healthy version? Share below!