With kids, skin irritations are a fact of life… especially during the summer when things like mosquito bites, poison ivy and other insect bites can cause skin problems.
I’ve also been hoping to eventually expose my kids to chicken pox (though I’m having trouble doing this as no one seems to get it anymore!) so I wanted to have a natural remedy for this on hand.
Even my skin occasionally gets irritated or itchy if I accidentally eat certain grains or food additives…
This homemade natural anti-itch cream is a wonderful remedy for skin irritations and itching. It contains all natural ingredients and can be mixed as needed for a soothing and effective remedy.
Anti-Itch Cream Ingredients:
- 1 teaspoon non-nano zinc oxide powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons bentonite clay
- 1 tablespoon (approx) witch hazel (longer shelf life) or water (use within a week)
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil (optional-cooling)
What to Do:
- Mix zinc oxide, sea salt, baking soda, and bentonite clay in a small bowl or jar. Slowly add witch hazel, stirring constantly, until it reaches a creamy consistency. Add essential oil if using.
- Store in air tight jar and use within two weeks (one week if using water in place of witch hazel).
Long Lasting Option:
If you’d prefer not to have to make a small amount that must be used within two weeks, you can make a larger batch by mixing double or triple quantities of the dry ingredients and adding to the wet ingredients as needed for use.
I store the pre-mixed powder in an empty spice container (red jar above) and shake out into a small bowl and mix with witch hazel when I need to use it.
Ever have skin irritation? What has helped you? Share below!