Ear infections are rough, especially for kids who are suffering through one. We recently took a family trip to the beach and all of my children practically lived in the water for a week. I typically bring 3% hydrogen peroxide to use in their ears after swimming in the ocean but forgot it this time in the hustle of getting ready. Using hydrogen peroxide has helped us avoid any ear infections in the past and I foolishly thought we would be ok without it.
A couple of days after we got home, two of our younger children started displaying the classic symptoms of ear infection. I checked to make sure the eardrum had not ruptured and started using garlic oil and my other remedies.
Our daughter was hit with symptoms at 2 AM so I needed to find a quick way to relieve her pain so that we could all get some sleep… and this lavender salt pack did the trick!
Lavender Salt Ear Infection Remedy
This simple remedy combines mineral-rich sea salt (or salt crystals) with lavender flowers for an external hot pack that helps ease the pain of an ear infection. We’ve used basic rice heat packs in the past for body aches and illnesses, but those were in the room with the last of our sleeping children and I wasn’t willing to risk waking them to get one.
Gazing into our salt lamp while I held my crying four-year-old, I wondered if Himalayan salt would work like the rice in a hot pack but with the added benefit of negative ions. I made a quick impromptu hot pack with a cloth muslin bag and some salt crystals and tried it on her ear.
It provided almost instant relief! It also gave the garlic ear oil some time to work without her trying to dump it out.
Here’s Why It Works…
The heat of the salt pack offers relief from the pain. In addition, the salt itself is naturally drying and helps pull fluid out of the ear.
An additional benefit of Himalayan salt is the negative ions it produces when heated. Through a process of attraction and evaporation with water molecules in the air, negative ions have been shown to promote healing and can bind to pollutants and even bacteria.
Finally, lavender has many health benefits and is naturally antibacterial and helps soothe and reduce inflammation. The scent is also calming and helps induce restful sleep.
How to Make a Lavender Salt Ear Infection Remedy
Lavender Salt Ear Infection Remedy Recipe
- Place the salt and lavender flowers in a muslin bag or sock and seal tightly.
- Carefully, heat the bag in a pan over low heat until warmed or microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Make sure the pack is warm to the touch but not hot enough to burn and place over the painful ear.
- Warm and repeat as needed for relief of ear infection pain.
What do you use for ear infections?
- Digel I, Temiz Artmann A, Nishikawa K, Cook M, Kurulgan E and Artmann GM. Bactericidal effects of plasma-generated cluster ions. Med. Biol. Eng. Comput., 2005; 43: 800-807.
- Marin V, Moretti G and Rossu M. Effects of ionizations of air on some bacterial strains. Ann. Ig. 1989; 1: 491-500.
- López V, Nielsen B, Solas M, Ramírez MJ, Jäger AK. Exploring Pharmacological Mechanisms of Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) Essential Oil on Central Nervous System Targets. Front Pharmacol. 2017;8:280. Published 2017 May 19. doi:10.3389/fphar.2017.00280