My criteria for a recipe that goes into our meal rotation is that it must have a good source of protein, contain more than one vegetable, be easy to make in under 30 minutes and preferably only need one pan to prepare from start to finish. It must also be a favorite meal for at least one family member and not be a complete battle to get the kids to eat.
This Chicken Squash Stir Fry meets all of those criteria and more. It has chicken (thighs or breasts will work) and broccoli, onion and zucchini or squash, and can easily change flavors with the addition of homemade spice blends. I prefer a simple seasoning of garlic, salt and pepper, though curry powder is another great addition.
Chicken Squash Stir Fry Recipe
Yield 4 -6
This is a great stir-fry for summer, using seasonal squashes and chicken for an easy meal in half an hour!
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 2-4 medium zucchini or yellow squash (or mix)
- 2 medium onions
- 1 small head or 1 bag (frozen) broccoli
- 3-4 tablespoons butter or coconut oil
- Spices to taste: I used about 1 teaspoon each of garlic powder, salt, pepper, turmeric, and thyme but any combinations would be good.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat the butter or oil. Chop the chicken into bite sized pieces and add to pan. Sprinkle with some of the spices and cook until completely cooked. Slice the onions and add when chicken is almost done. Slice zucchini and chop broccoli into florets and add to pan. Sprinkle with additional spices if desired and cook another 5-7 minutes until all vegetables are tender.
Serve and enjoy!
What is your favorite stir fry? Share below!