This recipe was born when I wanted to find a way to use my lemon and lime peels from my chicken picatta recipe and other recipes so they wouldn’t go to waste.
I used them in cleaning products some of the time, but I also figured out a way to dry/dehydrate them for food use. I had been using lemon zest or lime zest and salt and pepper on quite a few recipes when I realized I should just pre-mix them and have them ready to go.
Lemon pepper seems to be a polarizing spice, so if it isn’t your thing, check out my other herb and spice blends here.
I didn’t think I liked lemon pepper, until pregnancy cravings made me obsessed with it and the obsession never went away. Perfect on everything, in my opinion, but I like to use this lemon pepper on recipes like these:
- Chicken picatta
- In breakfast stir frys and eggs
- In Crock-Pot chicken recipes
- Cashew chicken lettuce wraps
Here’s what I did:
Homemade Lemon Pepper Seasoning Recipe
Yield 1 ¼ cups
Homemade lemon pepper seasoning with lemon or lime zest, pepper, and salt is a great addition to fish, chicken, or vegetables.
- If using fresh lemon zest, thoroughly zest the lemons and spread the fresh lemon out on a baking sheet.
- Put into the oven on the lowest setting and leave until completely dried. Mine took about 70 minutes.
- When completely dried, mix with the peppercorns and salt in a food processor until well mixed. If making with pre-dried lemon peel, just mix all ingredients in a food processor until blended.
- Store in a tightly sealed jar in the cupboard.
Serving Size ½ tsp
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Sodium 365 mg
Total Carbohydrates 0.4 g
Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
Protein 0.1 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Do you make any of your own seasonings?