I must admit, pork chops is a recipe I had not tried before we switched to all real food eating, so I don’t technically know how it is supposed to taste. I do know that this version is really, really good, so while it may not be an exact replica of the not-so-healthy version, it is delicious!
These smothered pork chops are also a very quick meal and my husband and kids all love it. It came together in less than 30 minutes and only requires one pan to prepare!
Smothered Pork Chops
Yield 6 -8
Hearty and creamy pork chops rich with the flavors of garlic and onion tastes like high-end restaurant food but comes together in about half an hour!
- 4 pork chops (or enough for your family)
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of sliced button mushrooms (optional)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 4 tablespoons butter or coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (or coconut cream)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- spices to taste: I used salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, basil, thyme, rosemary, and a tiny bit of turmeric
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Beat the egg with about a teaspoon of water until smooth.
- Put the almond flour on a plate and mix with about 1/2 tsp each of onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Rinse each pork chop well.
- Dip each into the egg mixture and then in the almond flour.
- Put each pork chop into the pre-heated skillet with the oil and cook about 5 minutes per side (depending on thickness or pork chop) until starting to brown.
- While the pork chops are cooking, thinly slice the onions and mushrooms if not already sliced.
- Remove the pork chops and place on a plate.
- Add onions to pan and sprinkle with spices.
- Stir until caramelized and browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, if using, and cook until browned.
- At this point, scoot the onions to the side and return the pork chops to the pan. Spread the onions on top of and between the pork chops.
- Add the heavy cream and coconut milk and any additional spices and cook over low/medium heat for an additional 5-8 minutes until most of the milk has evaporated off and started to thicken.
- When sauce has thickened and pork chops are tender, serve each pork chop with a spoonful of the onion/mushroom sauce on top.
Do you eat pork chops? Ever tried a healthy version? Share below!