I must admit, pork chops is a recipe I had not tried before we switched to all real food eating, so I don’t technically know how it is supposed to taste. I do know that this version is really, really good, so while it may not be an exact replica of the not-so-healthy version, it is delicious!
Delicious Smothered Pork Chops!
These smothered pork chops are also a very quick meal and my husband and kids all love it. It came together in less than 30 minutes and only requires one pan to prepare!
Smothered Pork Chops Recipe
Hearty and creamy pork chops rich with the flavors of garlic and onion tastes like high-end restaurant food but comes together in about half an hour!
- 4 pork chops (or enough for your family)
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of sliced button mushrooms (optional)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 4 tablespoons butter or coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (or coconut cream)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- spices to taste: I used salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, basil, thyme, rosemary, and a tiny bit of turmeric
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Beat the egg with about a teaspoon of water until smooth.
- Put the almond flour on a plate and mix with about 1/2 tsp each of onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Rinse each pork chop well.
- Dip each into the egg mixture and then in the almond flour.
- Put each pork chop into the pre-heated skillet with the oil and cook about 5 minutes per side (depending on thickness or pork chop) until starting to brown.
- While the pork chops are cooking, thinly slice the onions and mushrooms if not already sliced.
- Remove the pork chops and place on a plate.
- Add onions to pan and sprinkle with spices.
- Stir until caramelized and browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, if using, and cook until browned.
- At this point, scoot the onions to the side and return the pork chops to the pan. Spread the onions on top of and between the pork chops.
- Add the heavy cream and coconut milk and any additional spices and cook over low/medium heat for an additional 5-8 minutes until most of the milk has evaporated off and started to thicken.
- When sauce has thickened and pork chops are tender, serve each pork chop with a spoonful of the onion/mushroom sauce on top.
Do you eat pork chops? Ever tried a healthy version? Share below!