If you tend your own garden, chances are you’ve had your share of zucchini. This flourishing little veggie has an almost magic ability to thrive in nearly any condition, leading to an abundance that can be rather overwhelming. So what should you do with the excess? Enter this gluten-free zucchini bread!
But first, a little background on the humble green zucchini. As a summer squash, zucchini is naturally lower in calories, sugars, carbs, and starch than winter squashes like butternut. If you’re watching your blood sugar, zucchini is an excellent choice that scores low on the glycemic index.
If you needed even more reason to eat your zucchini, this powerhouse veggie is rich in fiber, potassium, manganese, vitamin A, and vitamin C, which helps lower your blood pressure and protect against harmful inflammation caused by free radical damage.
How to Make Grain-Free Zucchini Bread
This recipe combines shredded zucchini with grass-fed butter, coconut oil, almond flour, and lots of eggs to achieve a moist, delicious bread with zero gluten.
While both almond flour and coconut flour are both great alternative flours for low-carb baking, this recipe uses almond flour for a milder, nuttier taste. Almond flour is also less absorbent, so you can get away with using much less!
To make this gluten-free zucchini bread, start by beating seven eggs. Then whisk in melted grass-fed butter and coconut oil, and add in one whole grated zucchini (it should equal about one cup). Add the almond flour and mix until a dough forms, then bake at 355°F for 45-50 minutes, or until the edges turn golden brown.
Let the bread cool before cutting it into 12 slices. Then slather with grass-fed butter, and serve!
Note: This recipe is NOT the typical super sweet cake-like zucchini bread recipe and contains no added sweetener. For a touch of sweetness, I like to spread it with a little honey butter (whip 1/2 cup butter with 1/4 honey until smooth).
Gluten-Free Zucchini Bread Recipe
Yield 12 slices
Zucchini bread made with eggs, butter, and almond flour for a low-sugar snack with plenty of protein and healthy fats.
- Preheat oven to 355°F.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a fork or whisk.
- Mix in the melted butter, coconut oil, and grated zucchini.
- Add the almond flour and mix until it is a dough-like consistency.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until the edges begin to turn golden brown.
- The best way to grate the zucchini is with a simple box or cheese grater.
- If you are cooking at a high altitude, be sure to add another egg to ensure moist, fluffy bread.
Serving Size 1 slice
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 14.8 g
Saturated Fat 8.1 g
Cholesterol 116 mg
Sodium 93 mg
Total Carbohydrates 1.6 g
Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
Sugars 0.4 g
Protein 4.4 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
What’s your favorite healthy zucchini bread recipe? Looking for more grain-free bread options? I’m still experimenting, but I love these paleo-friendly, wheat-free bread recipes!