Oh, jello … the sugar (or chemical) laden mystery food of hospitals and cafeterias. I went to public school and got my fair share of this stuff back then, so I have never made this for my kids … until now.
The “Jell-o” gelatin you can buy in stores is packed with sugar or chemical sugar substitutes, along with gelatin from conventional animals fed a poor diet. I certainly wasn’t going to make that for my kids!
Then I found out about how healthy gelatin from grass fed animals can be a good protein source and can improve skin and hair quality and help the digestive system. I’d been drinking unflavored gelatin in my tea and in smoothies, but it dawned on me that I could use the healthy kind of gelatin with natural fruits and fresh juices to make a jello that my kids would like and that I would be ok with them eating.
Homemade Jello Recipe
While this isn’t an everyday snack, it is made from fresh fruit and juices with quality gelatin, so it can be a healthy treat that kids of all ages will enjoy! Just make sure that you are using gelatin, not collagen peptides. Gelatin from healthy grass-fed sources is especially beneficial and will “gel” when chilled, while collagen peptides will not.
Healthy Homemade Jello Recipe
- ¼ cup cool water
- 1 TBSP pasture-raised gelatin green lid
- ¼ cup very hot water
- 1½ cups organic or fresh fruit juice of choice
- 1-2 cups fresh fruit optional
- Pour the cool water in a medium size mixing bowl and add the gelatin powder.
- Stir briskly until mixed. It will start to thicken a lot.
- Add the ¼ cup of really hot water and stir to mix. It should be thinner now.
- Pour in the juice and mix well.
- Place fresh fruit in a layer on the bottom of an 8x8 baking dish if using.
- Pour the jello mixture over the fruit and stir slightly to make sure it has coated the fruit.
- Put in the refrigerator, covered, for at least 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Cut into cubes or scoop out with a melon baller to make cute shapes.
Ever made jello? Like the chemical laden stuff at the grocery store? Want to try this healthy version? Share below!