I don’t write many posts specifically for men, because men typically require fewer personal care products. I’ve shared the natural shaving options that my husband uses, and this is another recipe for men that I just had to share.
Many men notice thinning or balding hair as they age. Women typically only get the pleasure of this experience after a pregnancy (so much fun- you just created an entire human being and now you get to lose your hair too!).
When experimenting with natural ways to encourage hair regrowth for myself after a pregnancy, I realized that one of my concoctions would be just as effective on men and that many guys might like some help to avoid hair loss.
Natural Oils to Encourage Hair Growth
There are a variety of natural oils that encourage hair growth quickly and easily. In this recipe, I use:
- Castor oil – which is used for detoxification in remedies like castor oil packs and which I’ve used to thicken/lengthen my hair and eyelashes. It works for guys too! Castor oil not only helps avoid hair loss, but it can double or triple normal hair growth rates (my hair grew 1.5 inches in a month using it twice a week).
- Black Seed Oil – Black seed oil has many benefits but it is especially wonderful for hair growth. It can help remedy some fungal infections that lead to hair loss, and may also help avoid thinning hair in the first place. It can be used internally or topically, just test a small amount on the skin of the inner arm to make sure there is no sensitivity before using on the head or any large area of the body. (I use this one
- Rosemary Oil – Well known for its ability to stimulate hair growth, rosemary is often added to hair-growth treatments and shampoos. Adding a small amount creates a manly smell and increases the effectiveness of this recipe. (I use this one)
- Lavender Essential Oil – Also useful for improving skin health and hair growth. It helps mellow out the scent of the black cumin seed and rosemary to create a refreshing but definitely manly scent. (I purchase essential oils here)
- Optional Olive + Cayenne: 2 tablespoons of olive oil infused with 1/2 teaspoon dried, ground cayenne pepper. If you opt to use this, heat the oil slightly over a double burner and add the cayenne. Allow to infuse over low heat for 30 minutes and strain out the cayenne. Alternatively, you can leave the two in a glass jar in the sun for a few days to make a solar infused oil and strain as normal. Cayenne helps boost blood circulation and is a folk remedy for hair loss and sore muscles.
I’ve also created a recipe for a daily use hair gel that contains these oils plus vegetable emulsifier and aloe vera which I’ll be sharing soon.
Natural Hair Growth Oil Recipe
- 1/4 cup castor oil
- 1 teaspoon black cumin seed oil
- 1/2 tsp rosemary oil
- 15 drops lavender essential oil (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a dark glass bottle. A brown dropper bottle can be used, but I reuse the black cumin seed bottle because it is special miron glass that protects the oils from going rancid for years.
- Moisten hair and massage 10-30 drops (or 1/2 to 1 tsp) into the scalp. Leave on for an hour or overnight and wash out. I recommend using at night and sleeping with a towel on the pillow to avoid oil stains.
- Use once a week or as needed to increase hair growth.
Test the oils on a small part of the inner arm before using on the entire scalp and do not use if it causes any reaction or sensitivity. Black cumin seed oil will irritate the skin for a small percentage of people with sensitive skin.
What products do you (or the men in your life) use in their hair? What other natural recipes would they use?