As a mom, I’m all for recipes that simplify and save time. That’s why our dinner rotation includes simple one-pan dishes like beef and cabbage stir fry and Pakistani kima, and why I pre-make coconut oil pulling chews to do oil pulling every morning so that I don’t have to open multiple containers each day (ever tried to open a 5-gallon bucket of coconut oil? You’ll need Crossfit to prepare for it).
That’s why when my kids ask for things at night that I know help them sleep like tart cherry juice, gelatin in tea, or honey and salt, I’m happy to give it to them, but I wanted a simplified option …
All My Sleep Remedies in One …
I figured out a way to combine some of my favorite recipes and their favorite healthy treats: Tart Cherry Sleep Gummies.
These combine their chewable gummy vitamins, with the honey and salt remedy I use, and tart cherry juice for a simple nighttime snack that helps them sleep and that I can pre-make to save time.
I store these in a glass container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks and give each child one each night. I made them in this silicon mold for single serving size, but they could also be made in a coconut oil greased glass pan and cut into squares.
I didn’t add the salt to the recipe, but you could. I just sprinkled the final product with a mixture of salt and coconut sugar before giving to them.
Why It Works
- As this post mentioned, honey and salt together are great for balancing cortisol levels and blood sugar at night. Even alone, these two are great for improving sleep.
- That same post explains the beneficial substances in tart cherry juice (not the same as regular cherry juice) that make it good for improving sleep quality and length.
- Gelatin is rich in amino acids proline and glycine that help relaxation and sleep.
Tart Cherry Sleep Gummies Recipe
Yield 24 gummies
Gummies made with tart cherry juice, honey, salt, and gelatin to help promote relaxation and quality sleep.
- Pour juice into a small saucepan.
- Slowly mix the gelatin powder into the juice.
- Add the honey.
- Turn on low heat and stir as it begins to warm.
- Stir for 2-3 minutes or until mixture is smooth and gelatin has dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add vitamin C if using.
- Pour into silicon molds or a glass baking dish that has been lightly greased with coconut oil.
- Place in the refrigerator for 2 hours to harden.
- Remove from molds.
- Store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks (they never last that long at our house).
Make sure you are using gelatin such as the one in the green can from this source, not collagen peptides, or your gummies will not firm up.
Serving Size 1 gummy
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Sodium 18 mg
Total Carbohydrates 23.9 g
Sugars 22.5 g
Protein 2 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.