Asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables. My husband, on the other hand, grew up hating asparagus because he’d only ever had it from a can. (Think about the difference between a fresh green bean and a canned one!)
When we got married and I made this roasted asparagus for him, he realized what he had been missing out on all those years. If you’ve only ever had the canned version, then you have to try it freshly prepared… such a delicious difference!
Here’s how to make it:
Roasted Asparagus Recipe With Parmesan
Historically, canning vegetables was necessary for preserving garden produce for the winter. And even today, I know that canned fruits and vegetables can play an important role. They’re fairly inexpensive and certainly last longer than fresh produce.
However, there is a major taste difference between roasted and canned vegetables! Roasting brings out the natural sugars in asparagus and gives it a nice texture with a little crisp. Parmesan adds nuttiness and flavor.
To make it, simply drizzle fresh asparagus with oil, then toss it with salt, pepper, and Parmesan. I usually get it all ready and then work on the rest of dinner before tossing the asparagus in the oven for the last few minutes.
What to Serve With Asparagus
Asparagus is now a regular side item at our house, especially on holidays. Here are some other ideas for serving with weekday meals:
- I love asparagus with everything, but everyone is a fan. If you’re not a fan of asparagus, try it with hollandaise sauce… you might change your mind!
- Try asparagus with chicken marsala or chicken carbonara for a nutrient-packed dinner.
- This sheet pan meal with salmon and asparagus is healthy, delicious, and a huge time saver.
- My prosciutto-wrapped asparagus recipe can be either an elegant appetizer or side.
Next up, a chicken asparagus soup?
Roasted Asparagus Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Break the hard ends off asparagus. It will naturally break at this point if you gently bend it.
- Lay the asparagus flat on baking sheet and drizzle with the oil.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and Parmesan and toss lightly.
- Roast 15-20 minutes or until soft and just starting to brown.
- Remove and serve immediately.
Do you like asparagus? How do you prepare it? Share below!