This is my latest healthy Italian dish variation. I never really liked chicken Parmesan until I had it at a friend’s bridesmaids luncheon. It was the most grain free item on the menu, and it was wonderful (I later found out it was breaded in some type of potato starch and not flour!).
When I got home, I decided to try to make a truly healthy version and this recipe was born. I also created a chicken Parmesan nuggets recipe that the kids loved, so I could make a fun meal for them and a nice dinner for my husband and I in the same night.
If you ever miss Italian foods, this is a good alternative, and even if you were never a pasta person, you might like this one. On the other hand, if you WERE a pasta person, this dish is great served over spaghetti squash “pasta” or zucchini “noodles”
No-Grain Chicken Parmesan Recipe
Yield 6 servings
Grain-free chicken Parmesan made with coconut or almond flour.
- 1½ cups tallow, lard, or coconut oil for frying
- 3 lbs chicken breasts
- 4 eggs
- 1 TBSP heavy cream (optional)
- ½ cup coconut flour or almond flour
- 1/3 cup arrowroot flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp basil
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 cups pasta sauce
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded (optional)
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (optional)
- Put preferred fat for frying in a large skillet or fryer and turn on medium high heat.
- Butterfly chicken breasts and pound them slightly with meat hammer or flat side of heavy spoon until they are about ½ inch thick.
- In a medium size bowl, beat the eggs with the heavy cream, if using.
- On a large plate or dish, combine the coconut flour, arrowroot, and spices and mix well.
- Dip the flattened chicken pieces into the egg mixture and then into the flour mixture until well coated.
- Put directly into the hot oil and cook, flipping once, until both sides have browned and chicken is cooked (about 4 minutes per side on my stove).
- While the chicken is cooking, heat the sauce in a saucepan over medium heat until warmed.
- Place the cooked chicken in large baking dish and top with pasta sauce and cheeses if using.
- Broil in the oven until the cheese is melted.
- Serve over spaghetti squash or zucchini "noodles".
Try making chicken Parmesan nuggets too!
Serving Size ½ chicken breast
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 29.2 g
Saturated Fat 13.9 g
Cholesterol 138 mg
Sodium 861 mg
Total Carbohydrates 32.7 g
Dietary Fiber 11.5 g
Sugars 11.3 g
Protein 20.5 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
This recipe can also be modified to make delicious eggplant Parmesan too!
What’s your favorite Italian dish? Ever tried to make a grain-free version?