Stir Frys are one of my biggest mommy hacks. They are full of flavor, only take one pan to make and come together in just minutes for a fast and simple meal.
This summer sausage squash stir fry is especially good as a seasonal recipe when squash and zucchini are in season because they are so inexpensive at the store. This recipe can be made in one pan quickly for a busy night and customized with different flavors by adding homemade spice blends.
Also, since this is a sausage-based recipe, it makes a great fast breakfast that is egg-free, dairy-free and a good source of protein and vegetables.
With any stir-fry, customize to your preferences with spices. You can even mix up the meats or vegetables to suit your favorites and what you have on hand.
Sausage Squash Stir Fry
Yield 4 -6
A simple, one-pan stir fry that kids and adults both love.
- One 16 ounce package of link sausage (nitrite free if possible) I used nitrate free smoked beef sausage
- 3-4 medium to large summer squash or zucchini (or the equivalent)
- 2 onions
- 1 TBSP butter
- spices to taste: salt, pepper, garlic, basil, etc.
- Slice sausage into thin slices, about 1/4 inch.
- Brown them in a large skillet or wok until well cooked and browned
- Remove sausage
- Slice onion into thin slices and saute in the same pan until soft
- While cooking, peel and slice summer squash and add to onions when almost done
- Add spices to taste and additional butter if needed to prevent sticking
- Cook for an additional 5 minutes or until squash is soft
We make stir frys pretty often and even make them for breakfast since they are easy, fast and nutritious. Some of our other favorites are:
What’s your favorite “one-pan” meal? Tell me in the comments below!