I’m a huge fan of Caprese Salad, especially right now when tomatoes and basil are literally growing like weeds in the garden, but it isn’t very high in protein or fat and doesn’t make a good meal by itself. No worries, eggs fix everything! Enter the Caprese Omelet!
This omelet is very similar to the delicious salad version but with a much bigger protein punch. Tired of the usual bacon and eggs (say it isn’t so!), try this Italian variation! An omelet this good can’t be contained to just the breakfast realm, and it makes a delicious lunch or dinner also.
- 2-4 Eggs
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1 small/medium tomato, diced
- 3-4 (or more) basil leaves, finely chopped
- shredded mozzarella to taste
- Olive Oil (optional)
- Garlic, salt and pepper (optional)
- Melt butter in medium skillet over low/medium heat
- Scramble eggs with fork in a shall bowl and season with garlic, salt and pepper if desired
- Pour eggs into skillet and sprinkle tomatoes, cheese and basil on one half
- When eggs are partially set, fold the empty half over to cover the side with tomatoes, basil and cheese
- Cook until set, flipping if needed
- Remove and promptly top with more tomatoes, basil and cheese and drizzle with olive oil if desired
This is my favorite omelet (at least for this week!) What’s your favorite? Chime in below!