I’m a huge fan of caprese salad, especially right now when tomatoes and basil are literally growing like weeds in the garden! However, it isn’t very high in protein or fat and doesn’t make a good meal by itself. No worries; eggs fix everything! Enter the caprese omelet!
This omelet is very similar to the delicious salad version but with a much bigger protein punch. Tired of the usual bacon and eggs (say it isn’t so!)? Try this Italian variation! An omelet this good can’t be contained to just the breakfast realm — it makes a delicious lunch or dinner also.
Caprese Omelet Recipe
Yield 1 omelet
A lovely caprese salad combined with eggs for a complete meal.
- Melt butter in medium skillet over medium-low heat.
- In a small bowl, scramble eggs with fork and season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper if desired.
- Pour eggs into skillet and sprinkle half of the tomatoes, basil, and cheese on one half.
- When eggs are partially set, fold the empty half over to cover the side with tomatoes, basil and cheese.
- Cook until set, flipping if needed.
- Remove and promptly top with more tomatoes, basil, and cheese and drizzle with olive oil if desired.
Nutrition info is for a 2 egg omelet.
Serving Size 1 omelet
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 33.2 g
Saturated Fat 18.1 g
Cholesterol 392 mg
Sodium 489 mg
Total Carbohydrates 4.5 g
Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
Sugars 3.1 g
Protein 14.1 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
This is my favorite omelet (at least for this week)! What’s your favorite? Chime in below!