This is by far the most used tincture in my homemade herbal remedy cabinet. It is simple to make, but very effective against early pregnancy nausea, motion sickness, and tummy aches that happen when the kids eat unhealthy food when we are not at home.
I’ve used this herbal digestion tincture in transition during labor when nausea hits, to curb morning sickness, and even for stomach bugs to help stop vomiting. It also works great for indigestion, heartburn, and other digestive disturbances.
This digestive remedy can be used externally on babies tummies for colic and gas and externally on the head (adult or child) for headaches.
This digestive tincture remedy, along with my homemade chamomile tincture are two that I always keep on hand, especially with kids.
- 1/2 cup dried peppermint leaves
- 1/4 cup-1/2 cup very finely diced fresh ginger root
- 1/4 cup dried fennel seeds
- Approximately 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- Approximately 1 1/2 cups vodka or rum
- A quart size glass jar with airtight lid
- Put peppermint, ginger and fennel in glass jar and pour boiling water until they are just covered.
- Fill the rest of the jar with vodka or rum (food grade only! no rubbing alcohol) and put on air tight lid.
- Keep in a cool dark place for at least two weeks, but up to six, shaking daily.
- After 2-6 weeks, strain through mesh strainer or cheesecloth and store in vials or small jars.
Dosage: for adults up to 1 teaspoon can be taken straight or in water as needed. For heartburn indigestion or nausea, one dose is usually sufficient, though sometimes a second dose is needed. In pregnancy, 1/2 teaspoon in the morning often helps with morning sickness, with additional doses if needed throughout the day. For children, 10-20 drops is usually enough, or it can be used externally.
If you are pregnant, nursing, or have a medical condition, you should check with your doctor or midwife before using any herbal remedy or supplement.
Have you tried any herbal remedies instead of conventional methods? How did they work? Will you try this one? Let me know below!