Our family has been brewing Kombucha for years, both in a continuous brew system and with the regular jar method. I’ve passed on scobys to friends and families and there is now a whole group in our area of people who brew kombucha. This Kombucha Gelée is a favorite at our house. It combines Kombucha and gelatin to create a Jello-like finished product that is fun for the kids to eat.
What is Kombucha?
Never heard of it?
Kombucha is a fermented tea beverage that is high in electrolytes, enzymes and probiotics. I wrote about the many benefits of Kombucha here, but in short, it is helpful for:
- supporting proper immune function
- improving digestion
- aiding the body’s natural detoxification measures
- assisting weight loss
There is a record of Kombucha consumption from over 2,000 years ago and many cultures revered it for its health-promoting abilities.
How to Make Kombucha
Kombucha is now widely available at many stores and even some restaurants. I personally prefer to make my own since it is incredibly simple to make and it saves a lot of money over store-bought versions. I can typically make 2+ gallons for the cost of one 16-ounce bottle at the store.
I also like that I can customize the flavor options at home and create a carbonated finished product by adding fresh or frozen fruit. My current favorite method is adding frozen organic berries to the kombucha (once the SCOBY has been removed and added to a new batch) to make a really carbonated and slightly sweet soda-type drink.
Homemade or store-bought kombucha will work in this recipe!
Why Kombucha Gelée?
I’m also a big fan of gelatin for its own health-promoting benefits, and this recipe combines the beneficial properties of gelatin with the great taste and benefits of kombucha. It is simple to make and a fun activity to let the children help with.
I prefer to use carbonated kombucha in this recipe since it gives the final product fun bubbles. Most store-bought versions are pre-carbonated, but if making at home, this can be accomplished with a second ferment, which adds natural carbonation.
- Kombucha (store bought or homemade– preferably carbonated)
- Quality Gelatin (this is the one I use)- please note that Collagen Hydrolysate, will not work in this recipe (here is the difference)
Yield 6 +
A delicious Jell-o type recipe made with immune boosting kombucha and gut-healthy gelatin for a delicious and nourishing treat
- 16 ounces (2 cups) kombucha
- 3 tablespoons gelatin powder
- Pour 1/2 cup of the kombucha into a small saucepan.
- Sprinkle the gelatin powder on top and whisk in with a fork or wire whisk.
- Turn on low-heat and heat just enough to dissolve the gelatin so now powder remains (I check this by rubbing a tiny amount between my fingers and making sure I don't feel any grit or remaining powder).
- Remove from heat and pour into a medium size bowl.
- Quickly whisk in the remaining kombucha and stir to incorporate.
- Pour into a greased (i used coconut oil) 8x8 or 9x13 baking dish.
- Place in refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight until completely set.
- Serve and enjoy!
Ever made your own jello? If not, why? Ready to start now? Share below!