Sometimes only a soft, buttery biscuit will do. (I’ve found this to be especially true when I’m pregnant!) And when those cravings happen, these coconut flour biscuits really hit the spot!
Our family tries to avoid most grains for health reasons (my entire cookbook is grain-free in fact), but we’re only human … it’s only a matter of time before the longing for bread strikes. Sometimes only savory comfort food for breakfast will do — like biscuits and gravy, or our favorite, Eggs Benedict. Or in the summer, our kids love fresh strawberry shortcake.
And of course it’s always nice to have a bread-like substance on the side to soak up soup or chili.
Still, no indulgence is worth intestinal aftermath. But no worries … there is a solution!
Grain-Free Biscuits Made Possible
At the request of my husband, I’ve finally figured out a good recipe for flaky coconut flour biscuits. I’ve given an option to make them dairy-free as well, but if butter is better, feel free to use it and boost the comfort food factor! Another option is using ghee instead of butter or coconut oil, but reduce to 3-4 Tablespoons if you do.
My favorite thing about biscuits is their versatility. You can use them in savory applications or in a sweet dessert, or just on the side or as a snack. I’ve included some variations on these biscuits below to get the meal planning wheels turning.
For Fluffier Coconut Flour Biscuits
These coconut flour biscuits (as with most grain-free baked goods) will be denser than a traditional biscuit. I typically go for quick and easy and use a immersion blender to whip these together, but you could try this more traditional biscuit making method for a fluffier result. Many thanks to the Wellness Mama reader who suggested it!
1. Pulse dry ingredients in food processor with cold butter (or ghee, coconut oil, natural lard, or a 50/50 combination of these) until crumbly.
2. Beat eggs and add to food processor. Pulse just until mixed. Do not overmix.
3. Gently form batter into 6 balls and flatten, keeping them relatively thick.
4. Bake as indicated.
Coconut Flour Biscuits Recipe
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Put all ingredients into medium sized bowl and mix well with immersion blender or hand mixer until well incorporated.
- Using your hands, carefully form into eight small balls and gently flatten with a spoon to make it about 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until just starting to brown.
Try These Other Coconut Flour Biscuits Variations
- Top with fresh strawberries and homemade whipped cream for strawberry shortcake
- Top with egg, bacon, and hollandaise sauce for Eggs Benedict
- Serve with chili or soup
- Top with cream cheese and add a sprinkle of cinnamon for flair!
- Spread with almond butter and a natural sugar jam for a great PBJ alternative for kids
- Cut in half or use two to make a grain-free sandwich for breakfast or lunch
- Add ½ cup grated cheese, chopped green onion, and ¼ teaspoon cayenne to make savory cheesy biscuits
- Cut out with shaped cookie cutters (stars, hearts) for fun
- Flatten and wrap around nitrate-free sausage for a fun pigs-in-blankets approach
What are your favorite uses for biscuits? Will you try these? Let me know!