Variety is the spice of life they say, and I’m the first to admit salads can get boring! When I start to feel this way I know it’s time to make this chicken fiesta salad. Crunchy colorful peppers, creamy guacamole, and zesty homemade salsa (if it’s the season!) make this one of my favorite meals.
For simplicity, I plan this salad on the same week we’re having tacos so I don’t have to chop ingredients twice.
Here’s how to make it!
Chicken Fiesta Salad in a Mason Jar
I know I said that salads are one of my favorite lunches (and they are!), but some days are too crazy to have time to make lunch. Usually, I can glance at my calendar ahead of time and know when those days are coming up and plan accordingly. This fiesta salad is great for packing in mason jars in advance for a quick grab-and-go lunch.
The key to any mason jar salad is to make sure the wet ingredients are in the bottom of the jar and the salad greens and shredded cheese are on top. For this one, I build up from the bottom with salsa, avocado/guacamole, sour cream, chicken, veggies, and finally the lettuce and cheese.
I sometimes add black beans, diced tomatoes, and onions, or a squeeze of lime juice for a little tangy brightness. (One of these days I might try making a chipotle dressing like the one in this post combined with my own recipe for chipotle mayo… yum!)
To eat, just shake, grab a fork, and dig in! You can make them child-size too by using a smaller non-glass container.
More Favorite Salad Recipes
- Asian Color Burst Salad – A simple salad of greens, meat, sunflower seeds, and roasted beets, with an Asian coconut ginger vinaigrette
- Avocado BLT Salad – Salad greens topped with crispy bacon, sweet cherry tomatoes, avocado, and a tangy lemon mustard vinaigrette
- Fish Taco Salad – All the delicious ingredients of fish tacos with the extra nutrients of a salad
- Spring Salad With Berries – A very different take from this chicken fiesta salad, but that’s what keeps things interesting! This flavorful and fresh salad combines almond crusted chicken, goat cheese, strawberries, pecans, and dried cranberries on a bed of lettuce
Chicken Fiesta Salad Recipe
- Divide washed salad greens among four plates.
- Top with all remaining ingredients.
- Enjoy. Olé!
What is your favorite salad recipe? Do you have your own version of taco salad?