Once upon a time, there was a grain and flour-free, nutrient-dense, chocolate cookie recipe that was so filling that you could easily get your chocolate fix without eating too much! They had very little (or no) natural sweeteners and were packed with protein and beneficial fats and were delicious with a glass of homemade coconut milk.
Healthy Chocolate Cookies?
Thankfully, this story isn’t a fairy tale, and these chocolate chocolate chip cookies are my go-to healthy dessert recipe.
They are actually very high in protein, and you’d have a hard time eating more than a couple of these! Certainly not a treat to be eaten daily, but these cookies are a delicious (and healthy) way to eat a treat without the consequences of grains.
My sister-in-law and I discovered this recipe soon after I had to go grain-free for the sake of my thyroid. Who knew almond butter makes a good substitute for the flour and butter combo in most sweets, and the result was delicious!
What to Expect From Grain-Free Cookies
Even though I’m not a huge fan of chocolate (shocking confession, I know), these cookies hit the spot. That being said, don’t expect the usual cookie texture as these won’t raise much in the oven and fall even a little flatter when cooling. They have chewy, fudge quality like a brownie.
Some general tips for help with the paleo baking learning curve:
- Let cookies cool completely before moving them off the sheet. Without any gluten to hold them together, they will be soft until cooled.
- For best results, store in the fridge. I keep them in a glass Tupperware container with natural waxed paper between the layers.
- If you need to substitute the eggs in this recipe, here are some egg alternatives you may already have in your kitchen.
- I haven’t tried it myself, but you may want to try another nut butter or grain-free flour like cassava if allergic to almonds or coconut.
p.s. Find more paleo baking tips for beginners here.
Chewy Chocolate Cookies Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Make into cookie sized balls with your hands and put on baking sheet.
- Smoosh with your hand to make an actual cookie shape.
- Bake 10-15 mins, depending on your oven and cookie size... do not overcook!
- Enjoy with a glass of coconut milk!
What’s your favorite healthy chocolate recipe? Share below!