During the winter months, when winter squash is abundant, this is one of my favorite go-to meals.
Why Butternut Squash?
Latkes, or potato pancakes, are traditionally made with grated potatoes, but this simple switch ups the nutrient content quite a bit (and makes them even more delicious, in my opinion). You can top the latkes with a dollop of raw sour cream if you’d like.
Butternut squash is rich in antioxidants, B vitamins like folate, vitamin C, and potassium. Its bright orange color comes from carotenoids, which are protective against heart disease. Butternut squash is also very inexpensive in the fall and winter when it is in season and has a distinctive and delicious flavor.
Butternut Latkes, a Simple Healthy Meal…
This meal can be made in about 30 minutes and is kid-approved (especially the latkes!).
Consider making extra latkes for breakfast leftovers! This recipe is made to serve 2-3 so double or triple if your family is bigger.
The butternut squash is a great contrast to the balsamic glazed steak. I typically serve this with some greens or steamed broccoli to round out a perfect health meal.
Skillet Steak & Butternut Latkes Recipe
- Sprinkle the steak with ½ tsp of the salt and the pepper and set aside.
For the latkes:
- Use a box grater or food processor to grate the butternut squash and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the egg, remaining salt, garlic powder, flour, and any additional spices if desired.
- Thinly slice the onion and add the onion and grated squash to the egg mixture, mixing well with your hands.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Form the squash mixture into hamburger sized patties and cook in the preheated skillet for about 5 minutes per side or until browned.
- When the latkes are done, put them on a baking sheet and keep them warm in oven.
For the steak:
- Scrape out the skillet and cook the steak 3-4 minutes per side until desired doneness. When almost done, drizzle with balsamic vinegar and let it reduce for 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Does your family enjoy butternut squash?