Everyone loves a good casserole and they are such an easy meal idea. Here’s my healthy take on a family favorite.
Tip to Include the Kids:
I love to let my kids help cook whenever possible. We have the crinkle cutter with the wooden handle from this set and I love to let the children help chop the chicken and grate the cheese if I use it.
Letting the kids help cook is one of the ways I help them learn to love a wide variety of foods and avoid picky eaters. Now that they are older, my kids are actually a tremendous help many nights with cooking and the time I spent letting them “help” when they were younger has paid dividends (though I still have a two-year old to create the obligatory messes and spills while she helps).
Chicken Broccoli Casserole
Delicious chicken and broccoli casserole with optional sour cream, cheese and spices.
- 4 chicken breasts (or the meat from one whole chicken, cooked)
- 1 bag frozen broccoli (or 1 head fresh)
- 1 bag frozen cauliflower (or 1 head fresh)
- 4 TBSP butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ lb cheese (optional)
- 2/3 cup sour cream (optional)
- Parmesan topping (optional)
- 1 tsp of each of these spices or to taste: basil, garlic, salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Bake chicken until cooked or cook in a pan. I pre-cook chicken on a weekend so that I can make this recipe easily on a week night.
- In a baking dish, pour frozen broccoli and cauliflower and chopped onion and butter.
- Put in oven until heated and mostly cooked (15-20 minutes).
- While vegetables are heating, chop chicken into bite sized pieces and grate cheese if using
- Remove vegetables from oven, add chopped chicken, spices, sour cream, cheese and ¼ cup water and mix well.
- Top with Parmesan if desired and put back in oven until melted
What’s your favorite casserole? Share below!