Everyone loves a good casserole and they are such an easy meal idea. Everything goes into one pan and gets put in the oven, making serving a breeze. Casseroles are frequently great options for batch cooking and freezing too.
This recipe is made easiest with pre-cooked chicken (I frequently cook extra chicken on weekends or when I’m cooking some for another recipe so that I have some ready to go when I’m short on time) and frozen veggies, but you could start with raw chicken and fresh vegetables if you have a bit more time. Here’s my healthy take on a family favorite.
Tip to Include the Kids:
I love to let my kids help cook whenever possible. Letting the kids help cook is one of the ways I help them learn to love a wide variety of foods and avoid picky eaters. We have the crinkle cutter with the wooden handle from this set and I love to let the children help chop the cooked chicken and grate the cheese if I use it.
Now that they are older, my kids are actually a tremendous help many nights. The time I spent letting them “help” when they were younger has paid dividends (though I still have a two-year old to create the obligatory messes and spills while she helps).
Chicken Broccoli Casserole Recipe
Yield 6 servings
Delicious chicken and broccoli casserole with optional sour cream, cheese, and spices.
- 4 chicken breasts or the meat from one whole chicken, cooked
- 4 TBSP butter, cut into cubes
- 1 bag frozen broccoli or 1 head fresh
- 1 bag frozen cauliflower or 1 head fresh
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- 2/3 cup sour cream (optional)
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- If not using pre-cooked chicken, bake chicken until cooked or dice and sauté in a pan.
- Place butter in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
- Add broccoli, cauliflower, and diced onion.
- Put in oven about 20-25 minutes or until heated and mostly cooked.
- While vegetables are heating, chop chicken into bite sized pieces and grate cheddar cheese if necessary.
- Remove vegetables from oven.
- Add chopped chicken, cheddar cheese, sour cream, spices, and ¼ cup water and mix well.
- Top with Parmesan if desired and put back in oven until everything is warm and cheese is melted.
The time frame listed for this recipe applies to use of pre-cooked chicken and diced frozen vegetables.
Make and extra batch and freeze it for an easy meal another time!
Serving Size 1½ cups
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 28 g
Saturated Fat 17.6 g
Cholesterol 85 mg
Sodium 812 mg
Total Carbohydrates 9.7 g
Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
Sugars 3 g
Protein 18.5 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
What’s your favorite casserole? Share below!