Let’s face it: everything tastes better with bacon! For example:
- Loaded cauliflower with bacon
- Crustless broccoli quiche with bacon
- Bacon chicken bites (a family favorite)
- Bacon lime sweet potato salad
- Even chocolate covered bacon!
See what I mean? These bacon wrapped salmon patties are a fast recipe and an easy way to make canned salmon gourmet. The kids even liked these and they are good cold for lunch the next day.
Preparing the Salmon for Salmon Patties
To make these salmon patties, you have the choice between using fresh or canned salmon. I usually use boneless, skinless, canned salmon. I get mine from Vital Choice. All their products are sustainable and organic and really high-quality.
I like using the canned salmon for this because it’s faster. The cooking step is eliminated. You can absolutely use fresh salmon instead of canned if you’d like, but you’ll obviously need to cook it first.
Whichever you choose, it’s pretty important that you drain the fish well before making these salmon patties. Excess water will make them fall apart and keep the bacon from getting crispy. I like to put it in a mesh strainer and press the liquid out with the back of a spoon.
Making Bacon Wrapped Salmon Patties
Once the salmon is all ready to go, I add some finely minced onion, bell pepper, garlic, egg, Dijon mustard, and spices and mix it all together.
Use ¼ cup of the mixture for each salmon patty and form it into a ball. Wrap each ball in half a slice of bacon and place it, seam side down, on a baking sheet. Then just cook them in the oven until the bacon is cooked. Sometimes I put them under the broiler for the last couple minutes to make them a little crispier.
Using ¼ cup of the mixture and half a slice of bacon, this recipe will make 12 salmon patties. If you’d like to make them appetizer sized, use half that amount of the salmon mixture and ¼-? of a slice of bacon each, depending on how long your bacon is.
Tip: The mixture is supposed to be a little crumbly, but not enormously so. If it isn’t holding together well at all, try adding an extra egg or a couple tablespoons of mayo (or maybe chipotle mayo or sriracha mayo?).
Bacon Wrapped Salmon Patties Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- If using fresh salmon, cook it in a medium size skillet until light and flaky.
- Let the salmon cool while finely dicing the onion, bell pepper, and garlic.
- Whether using fresh cooked or canned salmon, use a mesh strainer and the back of a spoon to press the liquid from the salmon.
- In a bowl, mix together the drained salmon with the onion, bell pepper, garlic, Parmesan, egg, mustard, and spices to make a thick mixture.
- Cut the bacon slices in half.
- Grease a rimmed cookie sheet with butter or coconut oil.
- Lay the bacon slices on the cookie sheet.
- Use a ¼ cup measure to scoop out ¼ of the salmon mixture and roll into a ball.
- Wrap a piece of bacon around the ball and place it seam side down on the baking sheet.
- Repeat until all the salmon mixture is used up.
- Place into the preheated oven and cook about 15-20 minutes or until cooked through and bacon is crispy.
- Spear with a toothpick for easy serving and enjoy!
What is your favorite salmon recipe? Let me know below!