Let’s face it: everything tastes better wrapped in bacon! These bacon wrapped salmon cakes are a fast recipe and an easy way to make canned salmon gourmet. The kids even liked these and they are good cold for lunch the next day.
Bacon Wrapped Salmon Cakes
Yield 12 +
Delicious bacon-wrapped salmon cakes are a great way to make canned salmon delicious and fancy.
- 2 pounds of wild caught fresh, frozen or 2 cans wild caught salmon
- 1 package of bacon
- ¼ cup very finely diced onion
- ¼ cup very finely diced bell pepper (optional)
- 2 minced garlic cloves or garlic powder
- 3 T parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp mustard (Dijon is best)
- Spices of choice (I use salt, pepper, garlic, and herb blend)
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 2 yellow squash or zucchini
- 1 onion
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cook salmon in skillet (heat canned salmon if using to cook off the juice) You want it to be flaky and have no extra juice
- Let salmon cool while dicing onion, garlic, bell pepper, etc.
- Mix cooled salmon with onion, bell pepper, garlic, parmesan, egg, mustard and spices to make a thick mixture
- Cut bacon slices in half. Lay bacon slices on buttered cookie sheet with rim. Use your hand to scoop about ¼ cup of salmon mixture and roll into a ball. Wrap the bacon around the salmon and pin with toothpick (not necessary, but makes eating easier)
- Place on cookie sheet and repeat until all salmon mixture is used up
- Place into oven and cook about 15-20 minutes until cooked through and until bacon is crispy
- While those are cooking, sauté peeled and sliced squash/zucchini and onion into skillet with butter and spices and cook until soft
- Boil asparagus for 2-3 minutes, remove from water and sauté with butter and spices (garlic and salt) in same skillet (get squash mix out first) for 1 minute or so
What is your favorite salmon recipe? Let me know below!