Turmeric is a wonderful spice with so many benefits. I love using it in cooking and in natural beauty recipes, but another way to get your daily dose is in a refreshing glass of lemonade! We keep this turmeric lemonade recipe on hand as a festive drink for summer barbecues, park picnics, and friends just stopping by.
Easy Turmeric Lemonade Recipe
We mostly know turmeric as a cornerstone of Indian cuisine and curry powders, mustards, and more. Unfortunately, many of the foods I love adding turmeric in, like soups, stews, and this turmeric tea recipe, don’t sound as good in hot summer weather.
This turmeric lemonade recipe is the ideal solution and now is a family favorite. I’ve been making it often for the kids so they can rehydrate while they are playing outside. It is incredibly easy to make and tastes great!
The turmeric provides gorgeous color, but its earthy taste is mostly hidden by the tang of the lemon. Personally, I like to use liquid stevia to sweeten this, though any natural sweetener would work.
Benefits of Turmeric
So why is turmeric so great?
Doctors and naturopaths often recommend turmeric as a way to help lower inflammation in the body. Thousands of studies show its benefits in promoting heart health, mental health, reducing inflammation, and ensuring balanced blood sugar. It also turmeric supports digestion and liver function and is high in beneficial antioxidants as well.
You’ll also find turmeric in many of my beauty recipes and natural health remedies thanks to its external benefits. Turmeric can improve skin, whiten teeth, and even soothe rashes when added to a poultice. For a full list of turmeric benefits and uses, see this post.
Here’s how to make this superfood lemonade:
Iced Turmeric Lemonade Recipe
- 2 cups water
- 1 ½ cups ice
- ½ cup lemon juice (fresh, or to taste)
- 1-2 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp stevia extract (or to taste, or other natural sweetener of choice)
- 1 tiny pinch black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a high speed blender and blend for 60 seconds or until ice is completely blended.
- Let rest for about 30 seconds before pouring into cups to serve. I prefer to serve over more ice.
- Consume immediately.
Other Healthy and Delicious Summer Drinks
- Refreshing Lemonade Recipe (With Probiotics)
- Iced Lime Dandelion Tea Recipe
- Lavender Peach Iced Tea (Herbal and Caffeine-Free)
- Refreshing Ginger Honey Switchel Recipe
- Elderberry Kombucha Soda Recipe
- Real Food Margarita Recipe (With Delicious Low-Sugar Variations)
Do you use turmeric in your recipes? Share your favorite tips below!