I feel like breakfast is the toughest meal of the day, especially if I don’t plan ahead. Not only are the kids awake and immediately hungry, but we usually have more going on in the morning withs school, Jujutsu or other activities, so things are more rushed as well.
Breakfast Egg Muffins Recipe:
One of my favorite make-ahead breakfasts is this simple Breakfast Egg Muffins Recipe (not a thing like Egg McMuffins!). These are portable and packed with protein.
I make a batch of 24 or even 36 ahead so I have enough for several days and can warm them up in the oven for a few minutes while I hop in the shower in the morning. In fact, these are so easy to warm up that often my 8-year old can warm them up while I pack the car or get ready for school.
I usually add onions and cheese to these because that is our family favorite, but you could also add peppers, spinach or other vegetables and omit the cheese if you are dairy-free.
I’ve also made these by pressing pastured organic sausage into muffin cups and baking for a few minutes before adding the eggs, making a scrambled scotch eggs of sort.
If you have the time and desire, these are excellent topped with a dash of raw sour cream or some hot sauce, but they are excellent on their own as well…. however you make these, give them a try! Your morning schedule will thank you!
Breakfast Egg Muffins
Yield 4 -6
Easy breakfast muffins baked in bacon cups for a protein packed and delicious meal anytime.
- 12 pieces of nitrate free bacon
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 10 eggs, beaten (with 2 TBSP milk or cream, optional)
- 1/4 cup cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Line each cup of the muffin tin with a piece of bacon.
- Put chopped onion and pepper in the bottom of the muffin cups.
- Pour egg mixture into the cups.
- Bake about 30 minutes (ovens vary) until eggs are set. Top with cheese (optional).
- Can be wrapped in foil and easily reheated on-the-go.
What is your favorite go-to breakfast recipe?