I started making my own foaming hand soap pretty early in my switch to a more natural lifestyle. With concerns over antibacterial ingredients in many hand soaps and potty-training little ones who found the need to wash their hands/arms/the counter with soap a thousand times a day, I needed a healthy and frugal option.
Thankfully, there is a natural, homemade and incredibly simple option that works just as well and doesn’t cost $3.59 a bottle like the foaming versions at the store.
The recipe itself is literally so simple that I now have my six year old refill the bottles and it takes just seconds to make. I keep the few simple ingredients on hand and we never have to buy hand soap or worry about running out…Surprisingly, this foaming version also makes a decent shaving cream in the shower…
Before you begin, you’ll need a foaming hand soap container. I originally ordered this pretty but pricey foam dispenser online before I realized that there was a much more frugal and inexpensive option: Household Traditions sells an organic foaming hand soap (in a dispenser) for much less than the fancy version and the container can be re-used after the soap is used up. You’ll get a bottle of soap to begin with and a free container at the end…
Once you’ve procured a foaming dispenser of some kind… here is the (incredibly simple) recipe:
- 12-ounces of Water (distilled or boiled is best but not needed if it will be used within a few weeks)
- 2 Tablespoons Liquid Castille Soap (I get mine here at a discount)
- ½ tsp liquid oil like olive or almond
- Essential oils of choice for scent (optional)
- Fill the soap dispenser to about 1 inch of the top (leaving room for the bulky foaming pump and the soap to be added).
- Add at least 2 tablespoons of liquid castille soap to the water mixture (NOTE: do not add the soap first or it will create bubbles when the water is added.
- Add the oil (optional but it helps preserve the life of the dispenser) and any essential oils if you are using them.
- Close and lightly swish to mix.
- Use as you would any regular foaming soap.
Do you make your own soap already? If not… will you start now? Share below!