Another day, another easy dinner idea. This is a popular dinner with my kids because of the sweet pineapple and the color of the pepper. It is easy to make and if you don’t have a grill, it is easy to adapt to cook in the oven. These are actually really good cold since the flavors of the pineapple and pepper infuse into the chicken in the fridge. It’s also great to make extra and pull them off the skewers to top a salad the next day.
This is a meal I’d suggest letting your kids help make since they often enjoy creating their own skewers. This meal comes together quickly and is so easy to make it doesn’t even need a recipe!
- 3-4 chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 red bell pepper (or any other color)
- 1 sweet onion
- 1 fresh pineapple
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp basil leaf
- 8 bamboo skewers
- Cut the chicken breasts into bite size pieces and put in a bowl. Pour apple cider vinegar over them and let sit. At the same time, soak the bamboo skewers in warm water for at least 20 minutes (can also soak overnight the night before). Pour the excess vinegar off the chicken.
- Cut the pepper, onion and pineapple into bite size (1 inch) cubes and once skewers are soaked, put the chicken, onion, pepper and pineapple onto the skewers. Melt the coconut oil and add the spices. Brush or drizzle the coconut oil mixture onto the skewers.
- Grill for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is completely cooked through. Can also roast in the oven at 375 for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is cooked.