This easy recipe for homemade scouring powder cleans everything from stuck on floor messes to tile goo. (Not that I’ve ever experienced those personally…) It is inexpensive to make and cleans better than store brands without the vague smell of chemical warfare. I use this all the time to clean our bathroom, which is currently shared by 5 people while we remodel our master bath. With three of those five people being in the under 5 category, the tub especially has the potential to get pretty nasty.
I knew that this stuff worked well, but to put it to the test, I restrained myself from cleaning the bathroom for two whole weeks (meaning I was incredibly busy and didn’t get time to clean it for two weeks). It was bad… really bad. I also knew that my kids would be soaking in said freshly cleaned tub that night and didn’t want them to lose any skin pigment from the cleaners I used so I turned to this natural homemade powder.
Did it work? Oh yeah… I cleaned the tub one half at a time so I could see the difference. Even with my less than exceptional camera, you can probably tell which side got cleaned first. (Right side, if you can’t tell with my camera)
So, how do you make it? The recipe is very easy and very inexpensive:
- 2 parts baking soda
- 1 part salt
- 1 part borax powder
- Pour ingredients into jar or bowl.
- Mix or stir until well mixed.
- If you want to make a shaker, put in a pint or quart mason jar and poke some holes in the top (carefully) with a sharp serrated knife.
- Lightly wet surface with water or undiluted white vinegar (for really bad messes)
- Sprinkle powder on and let sit 5 minutes
- Scrub with sturdy brush until clean
- Rinse with water or vinegar (for really bad messes)
Is your tub clean? Have a way to get it cleaner naturally? Please tell me about it below!