I am thrilled to say today I’m sitting down for round two with Dr. Ben Lynch, one of my favorite experts on genetics and epigenetics. He’s going to give us some very practical, useful tips on supporting your health by paying attention to your genes, and how to teach your kids to do this too. In this episode, we go deep on the concept that genes work much like dominoes… when one flips, it can trigger a whole line of other effects.
If you’re not already familiar with him, Dr. Ben Lynch has his degree in cellular and molecular biology as well as a doctorate in naturopathic medicine. He is considered one of the foremost experts on nutrigenomics and methylation dysfunction.
I really, really enjoyed this episode, and I think you will too!
Episode Highlights: Dr. Ben Lynch & Strategene
- Why your genes are not your destiny (but are important to understand)
- The role of histamine in the body
- What the methionine pathway is and why we need to understand it
- A “wine stack” to take to drink if you have issue with wine
- Another important reason to filter your water
- The role of creatine and how it’s important for kids too
- Why SIBO is a gallbladder issue
- Specific tips for helping kids with skin issues like eczema
- The right form of choline to supplement with and why this is important
- The thing that could be hurting your liver without you even knowing it
- What your biggest detoxification organ is (it isn’t what you think)
- How to use a spray bottle with probiotics and water to help skin issues
- Why sweat is the most important part of any sauna session
- Specific recommendations for supplements for sauna
- How mindset affects genes (it’s dramatic!)
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Seeking Health + StrateGene
- 8 Sauna Benefits for Body and Mind
- Creatrix Sauna
- The Best Water Filter For Home Use (Pitcher, Charcoal, Under-Counter)
- ProBiota HistaminX
- Liver Nutrients
- Vitamin D drops
- Fish oil
More From Wellness Mama
- 136: How to Unzip Your Genes to Understand Your Health with Dr. Jennifer Stagg
- 356: How to Improve Your Health Based on Genetics With Joe Cohen From SelfDecode
- 139: Understanding Generational Toxins and Epigenetic Changes with Dr. Mindy Pelz
- 331: Rethinking Health: 8 Predictive Biomarkers for Lifetime Health With Russell Jaffe
- Lab Tests You Can Order From Home (Without A Doctor)
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
Today’s episode is brought to you by Athletic Greens, the all-in-one daily drink to support better health and peak performance. Even with a balanced diet, it can be difficult to cover all of your nutritional bases and this is where Athletic Greens can help. Their daily drink is essentially nutritional insurance for your body and it’s delivered straight to your door every month. It’s developed from a complex blend of 75 minerals, vitamins, and whole-food ingredients. It’s a greens powder that’s engineered to fill the nutritional gaps in your diet. Their daily drink improves your everyday performance by addressing the four pillars of health, energy, recovery, gut health, and immune support. It’s packed with adaptogens for recovery, probiotics and digestive enzymes for gut health, and vitamin C and zinc for immune support. It’s basically an all-in-one solution to help your body meet its nutritional needs. And it’s highly absorbable and diet-friendly, whether you are keto, vegan, paleo, dairy-free, gluten-free, etc. It has less than one gram of sugar and it tastes great. And here’s how I used it and still use it. When I started losing weight, I was eating a lot more protein, and it became hard to get enough greens and vegetables in because it was hard to actually eat enough volume of food. I was full. So I was able to use Athletic Greens to meet my veggie and nutritional needs, even if I was full and just didn’t feel like eating extra. It’s basically like a multivitamin, but it’s actually head and shoulders above a lot of multivitamins.
They don’t use any GMOs or harmful chemicals. And it’s NSF certified. So they really are careful about their sourcing and what goes into it. When you try Athletic Greens through my podcast, they’re also gonna send you a year supply of their vitamin D3 and K2 for free. I’ve talked about vitamin D before. We know we get it from the sun, but it can also be important to supplement, especially in the winter months. And this is something I test my own blood levels of and supplement when necessary. And it combines these nutrients to help support the heart, immune system, and respiratory system, which is especially helpful at this time of year. So whether you’re looking to boost energy levels, support your immune system, or address gut health, it’s a great time to try Athletic Greens for yourself. Simply visit athleticgreens.com/wellnessmama to claim my special offer today. You’ll get a free vitamin D3K2 wellness bundle with your first purchase. That’s up to a one year supply of vitamin D as an added value for free when you try Athletic Greens. You’d be hard-pressed to find a more comprehensive nutritional bundle anywhere else.
This podcast is brought to you by Wellnesse, my new personal care company that is based on the recipes I’ve been making at home in my kitchen for decades. Many “clean” products simply don’t work and this is why I have spent the last decade researching and perfecting recipes for products that not only eliminate toxic chemicals but contain ingredients that work better than their conventional alternatives and that nourish your body from the outside in. I’m so excited to finally share these products with you and wanted to tell you about our brand new dry shampoo! It can be used various ways. You can sprinkle it in clean hair to add volume and to extend time between washes, sprinkle it in hair that has not been washed in a day or two to absorb oil or sweat and you can work in to color treated hair to maintain color-treated hair by not having to wash as often. It contains oil-absorbing kaolin clay and volume-boosting tapioca which work together to refresh hair at the roots. Lavender oil and cactus flower help to balance scalp and strands’ natural pH. We even added hibiscus for healthy hair growth. You can check it out and try it at wellnesse.com and my tip is to grab a bundle to save or subscribe and save as well!