I just love today’s interview, since it’s not often you get to talk to someone who is a filmmaker, best selling author, and renowned health and science journalist all in one! Max Lugavere is the host of the iTunes podcast “The Genius Life” and author of the New York Times bestselling book, Genius Foods: Become Smarter, Happier, and More Productive While Protecting Your Brain for Life. He’s also the author of a new book, just coming out, called The Genius Life: Heal Your Mind, Strengthen Your Body, and Become Extraordinary.
In this episode, we talk about his own journey of losing his mom and what how that set off a lifetime of research which he has turned into very simple, practical tips in four key areas that can improve your life. Max really hones in on finding the most effective and efficient changes that you can make that have a big payoff, which has been a huge focus for me also.
This is definitely an episode not to be missed!
Episode Highlights With Max Lugavere
- What fine particulate matter pollution is and how it affects health
- The link between air pollution and cognitive decline
- Why indoor air can be 10x more contaminated than outdoor air
- About the suprachiasmatic nucleus and how it affects your circadian biology
- Why light might be just as important as food for health
- How you might be unknowingly messing up your endocrine system
- The hidden ingredient in your dental floss that can affect your hormones
- The 3 “Ps”- pee, poop, and perspiration, and what they mean for your health
- How to used planned indulgences to minimize damage from eating processed foods
- The important reasons to prioritize protein
- How to use non-exercise activity or thermogenesis to your advantage for weight loss
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Subscribe to the Genius Life Podcast
- The Genius Life: Heal Your Mind, Strengthen Your Body, and Become Extraordinary by Max Lugavere
- Genius Foods: Become Smarter, Happier, and Productive While Protecting Your Brain for Life
- The Brain That Changes Itself
- We Are Our Brains
- Air Doctor Air Filter
- Nutrition Genome
- Barrel Sauna
- Clearlight Sauna
- Lux App
More From Wellness Mama
- 321: Detoxification, Mitochondrial Health, Biophysics, and Figuring Out Your Optimal With Caleb Jennings
- Do We Really Need Air Filters? (+ Reviews)
- Hidden Sources of BPA (And Why You Should Care)
- The Dangers of Plastic
- Plastic in the Ocean: How We Can All Reduce Single-Use Plastics
- What Our Poop Reveals About Digestive & Gut Health
- 11 Convincing Health Benefits of Sweating
Will you make changes based on Max’s advice? What other questions can I pass on? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is sponsored by The Ready State. If you’re at all like me, you might have perpetual stiffness and pain in your neck and shoulders from years of working, carrying kids and all of the demands of parenting. Or sore hips from too much sitting or multiple pregnancies. I found a great way to relieve my aches and pains and improve my fitness and flexibility. It’s from someone I highly respect… Dr. Kelly Starrett at The Ready State. If you don’t know Kelly, he’s a Mobility and movement coach for Olympic gold medalists, world champions, and pro athletes. He’s the Author of two New York Times bestselling books, including “Becoming a Supple Leopard”, which has sold over half a million copies. He has over 150,000 hours of hands-on experience training athletes at the highest levels. A Doctor of Physical Therapy who helps top companies, military organizations, and universities improve the wellness and resilience of their team members. He created a program called Virtual Mobility Coach. This program is easy to do from home each day, making it ideal for me, and for most moms. And I can do with my kids. Every day, Virtual Mobility Coach gives you fresh, guided video exercises. They show you proven techniques to take care of your body, relieve pain, and improve flexibility. And you can customize your videos in three ways. If you’re in pain, you can pull up a picture of the human body and click on what hurts. And from there, Virtual Mobility Coach will give you a customized pain prescription to help you find relief. Second, you can find a library of soothing recovery routines in the daily maintenance section. They’re a great way to wind-down and practice self-care from the comfort of your home. And third, for athletes, Virtual Mobility Coach also has an entire section of pre- and post-exercise routines for more than four dozen sports and activities. They help you warm-up before your workout so you can perform your best with a lower risk of injury. Right now, you can try Virtual Mobility Coach totally risk-free for two weeks without paying a penny. And after that, you can get 50% off your first three months. Just go to thereadystate.com/wellnessmama and use code WELLNESSMAMA50 at checkout. That’s half-off your first three months when you sign up for a monthly plan. And you’ll get personalized techniques to relieve nagging pain and improve your fitness and flexibility.
This podcast is sponsored by Beekeepers Naturals. They make all kinds of delicious and functional bee products from propolis to honey to brain boosting elixirs. But today, I want to talk about one in particular… B.chill. This is a hemp infused honey made with USA-grown hemp and formulated with a special MCT emulsion to naturally maximize bio availability and absorption. Half a teaspoon works wonders when you’re feeling stressed or overrun during a busy day. For sleep, a full teaspoon makes a big difference. Add it to a nighttime tea or take on its own for noticeably better sleep. I also give this to my kids as an all-purpose remedy that helps them sleep more quickly and easily, and also comforts them when they have growing pains, muscle soreness or other minor issues. You can save 15% on B.chill and all Beekeepers Naturals products at beekeepersnaturals.com/wellnessmama with the code wellnessmama