There is a huge range of opinions when it comes to discussing the current state of healthcare, but one opinion seems almost universal: something needs to change! My guest today, James Maskell, is a true innovator for positive change in the health community. He has spent over 10 years now innovating at the cross-section of functional medicine and community, which we are going to explain in-depth today.
Just some of his accomplishments so far include creating the Functional Forum, the world’s largest integrative medicine conference, and writing a bestselling book called Evolution of Medicine, which is full of ideas about the future of medicine and how health professionals can work toward a predictive and preventative model. More recently he founded a new company called KNEW Health, which is an affordable alternative to health insurance specifically for health-conscious people.
Episode Highlights With KNEW Health
- Why we need more functional medicine doctors
- The difference between integrative and functional medicine
- Why America is the best place to be for emergency care but the worst for a chronic illness
- The shocking average cost of medical insurance for the average American family
- Steps we can take to fix the system from the inside out
- The reason community is necessary for health (in more ways than one)
- Why medical group visits are the solution to loneliness
- How KNEW health approach to copays
- Whether cost-sharing model can really protect you if a big health problem strikes (I know a little about this one!)
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- KNEW Health
- James book: The Evolution of Medicine
- Evolution of Medicine website
- James Maskell TED Talk:
Books James Recommends
- Fingerprints of the Gods
- Linchpin: Are You Indispensable? by Seth Godin
- The Disease Delusion by James Bland
More From Wellness Mama
- 188: Saunacast: How We Took Control of Our Healthcare and Insurance (& Saved Money)
- Why We Chose Samaritan Ministries Over Health Insurance
- Why Personalized Concierge Medicine Is the Future of Health
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by Thrive Market, a company I’ve loved for years and order from all the time. In fact, the majority of the non-perishable and frozen foods you’ll find in my house are from Thrive. If you haven’t checked them out, you definitely need to and you can get a completely risk free 30-day trial as a listener of this podcast at thrivemarket.com/wm. Here are just a few of the reasons you’ll love them: They have over 500 of their own Thrive Market brand products that are incredible quality and at amazing prices. These include everything from bulk ingredients and spices to chips, salsa, nuts, snacks, and things like tuna and sardines. These are all non-GMO and most are organic, and at prices cheaper than conventional alternatives in my local stores. They also have high quality meat and seafood as well… from completely grass fed meat to pastured pork and free range chicken and it’s all delicious. Thrive is essentially an online Costco meets Whole Foods online and at much better prices.
In my most recent order, you’d find a bunch of tuna and sardines, bulk nuts and spices, plantain and cassava chips, crackers, condiments and snacks…. All Thrive Market brand and all favorites at our house. If you haven’t, you’ve got to check it out. Go to thrivemarket.com/wm to start your 30-day free trial and see for yourself how awesome it is.
This podcast is brought to you by Genexa, a company revolutionizing over the counter products for children and families. Their products are all cleaner, healthier and allergen free versions of the products you already know and use. Genexa has a whole line of natural homeopathic remedies for sleep, reducing stress, allergy relief, jet lag and so much more. They’ve also developed a more natural alternative to other heartburn remedies, a truly clean vitamin D3 for infants and kids, natural saline rinse for infants, kids and adults, a pain crush roll on I’ve been using after tough workouts, a natural laxative and so much more. All of their products are vetted by an entire team of doctors to make sure they are safe, natural and effective. Check them out and save 20% just for being a listener of this podcast by going to genexa.com/wellnessmama and using the code WELLNESS.