Many of us enjoy time spent in the water, whether in a pool or the ocean. It turns out that, especially when it comes to the ocean, the water has some health benefits as well!
But water time isn’t without risk. In fact, accidental drowning is one of the leading causes of death in children. Water safety is important and thankfully there are a few simple and important steps that can drastically increase water safety and fun!
How to Keep Kids Water Safe This Summer (& For Life)
Today’s guest has a lifetime of experience in helping people stay water safe.
Josh Spears, founder of Kids Love to Swim, grew up in a family of lifeguards and was always around the water from a very young age. Josh worked as a lifeguard in high school and after having to pull out multiple children he became passionate about preventing drowning and became a Water Safety Instructor through the American Red Cross.
He has now taught hundreds of kids (and adults) to swim, and has taught many parents to teach their own children to swim without stress or fear.
In This Episode You’ll Learn
- The reason accidental drowning is so common
- Practical ways to keep our kids safe
- Why we, as humans, feel such a strong pull toward the water and the many health benefits of spending time in and around water
- An important reason to think twice about puddle jumpers and life jackets in the pool (and what to do instead)
- Josh’s story and the things he sees as the biggest risks for kids around the water
- The importance of our attitude, as parents, about the water and how to set a great example
- Why early childhood experiences in and around water are so important and how to create them for your own kids
- The best time to get kids in the water and start teaching basic skills
- A simple set of guidelines to use in your family to keep kids water safe
- How to teach your own kids to swim in two weeks or less, and why you should be the one to teach them!
- The statistical difference that it makes when kids know how to swim
Resources We Mention
- Kids Learn to Swim online course
- TED Talk: How to Learn Anything in 20 Hours
- Book: Power to the People by Pavel
- Pool safety alarm (good idea to have in backyard pools)
Special Thanks to Today’s Podcast Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by SteadyMD. I’ve been using this company for the past year and I love them. Here’s how it works. Instead of having a primary doctor that you have to make an appointment to see, wait for hours in the office to visit, you can now have your doctor available whatever you need him or her through your phone. SteadyMD has a staff of doctors who are available via call, text or video chat whenever you need them, so they respond quickly and they already know your medical history. You get paired with a single doctor so you can work with them as a long-term partner for your health. They’re well versed in lab testing, preventative health, and functional medicine and they’re great for those random obscure off-hours medical questions so you don’t have to run to urgent care. You can check them out and see if they are right for you by visiting SteadyMD.com/wellnessmama. They do have limited spots available, so I’d check them out quickly if you’re interested.
This podcast is brought to you by Beekeeper’s Naturals. Our healing relationship with bees goes way back. Humans have been benefiting from bees and their nourishing superfoods since prehistoric times, from Cleopatra using honey to keep her youthful glow to Hippocrates prescribing propolis to cure everything from sores to bacterial infection. Beekeepers Naturals is dedicated to bringing the age-old benefits of bee products to modern times. They offer really high quality propolis, royal jelly, bee pollen, raw honey, and many other products. And all of these are sustainably sourced from a company that is dedicated to protecting and improving the bee population. My personal favorites are their propolis spray, which helped me head off a scratchy throat, and their B.LXR mix which is a mixture of all their bee products as a natural brain boost I use to stay sharp on busy days. You can check them out at https://beekeepersnaturals.com/wellnessmama/.