We haven’t talked about heart health on the podcast in a while, but this is an incredibly important topic for women! Board-certified cardiologist Dr. Jack Wolfson joins me today to talk about how nutrition, lifestyle, and supplements can help protect and improve long-term cardiac health.
During our interview, we bust some common myths and misconceptions like the dangers of saturated fat, the role of cholesterol, and whether young people or women need to worry about heart health. Most importantly, we discuss ways (some of them very easy!) that can reduce your risk of certain problems by as much as 70 to 80%.
Without further ado, here we go!
Episode Highlights With Dr. Jack Wolfson
- Why premenopausal women are protected from heart disease (and what we can learn from that)
- Two conditions that even young women are at risk for!
- What SCAD is and why you need to know if you deal with stress
- What testing you can do yourself to know if your heart is healthy
- A good target resting heart rate to aim for
- How to use your pulse to check for food sensitivities
- What HRV is and how to improve it: chiropractic, acupuncture, massage, stress management techniques
- The cardiac tests to avoid
- What basic lab tests can tell you about cardiac risk (inflammation, hs-CRP, oxidized LDL)
- Whether is fat really the enemy
- How donating blood regularly helps your health
- What you need to know about vitamin D supplementation
- Why we need sunshine for more than just vitamin D
- How sauna use can drastically reduce your risk of heart disease and all-cause mortality
- The best and worst exercises for heart health
- Why community and relationships are some of the most important factors for health
- His #1 number one piece of advice
- And more!
Resources We Mention
- Dr. Jack Wolfson blog
- Dr. Wolfson’s Heart Palpitations Free Webinar Course
- Dr. Wolfson’s Atrial Fibrillation Free Webinar Course
- Just Thrive K-2 & Probiotic
- Vitamin D
- Clearlight Sauna
- Barrel Sauna
- Sunlighten Sauna
- Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston A. Price
- Napoleon Hill’s Outwitting the Devil: The Secret to Freedom and Success
- David Icke books
- Ayn Rand books
Do you have a history of heart disease? What questions would you like Dr. Wolfson to answer? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by Beekeeper’s Naturals. Beekeeper’s is on a mission to reinvent your medicine cabinet with clean remedies that actually work. I really like their B.LXR Brain Fuel. These tiny power shots pack a powerful punch for focus and energy without caffeine or sugar. The secret is royal jelly which is reserved for the queen in the beehive, and I can see why. Especially on busy workdays or mom days, I add this to my morning routine in place of or in addition to my morning coffee or tea. And I feel the difference immediately. It also helps a lot with jet lag and time changes, as well as with those mornings when I’ve just been up with the kids during the night. I’m finding it especially helpful as we navigate the back to school and all the craziness that comes with that. So when you want to be your sharpest this is why I love B.LXR. Like I said, it contains ingredients that actually lead to a healthier brain over time. So, royal jelly which is one of the kinda secret weapons of the beehive, but also other science back adaptions like ginkgo. I find that adding this to my routine first thing in the morning is great for helping beat brain fog and helping be on my best game on busy days. I feel like we could all use that little bit of extra support right now, and B.LXR is my brain fuel. I’d also highly recommend checking out their immune-boosting propolis spray which is a spray that can be…there’s a kids and adult version that can be used in the throat and it’s immune-boosting. They also have B.Powered which is a delicious superfood backed honey that contains also propolis, bee pollen and royal jelly as well. And all their products are actually pretty incredible. They have a CBD honey that helps with sleep as well. You can check out all of those products and save 15% on a first order by going to beekeepersnaturals.com/wellnessmama. Meet your new medicine cabinet with Beekeeper’s Naturals. And make sure to try that link to save 15%.
This podcast is sponsored by Joovv Red Light Therapy. Like many of you, I am always trying to find different ways to keep my wellness routine in check. I’ve noticed some of the things that are most helpful to me are practicing daily gratitude, a no-phone rule one hour before and after bed, eating healthy and exercising, and if you’ve been listening to me for a while now, getting in my light therapy sessions. I’ve told you before about why I personally love Joovv before: the skin and hair benefits are awesome and I find that I recover faster from soreness after working out. Joovv is my preferred red light therapy device because it has a patented, modular system that lets you build as you go so you can find a way to fit it into your budget. They have full-body devices (Joovv Elite & Duo) and you can keep connecting these pieces together to make it as big of a device as you like. They also have a Desktop model (Joovv Mini), which is great for travel or for spot treating. Remember, when it comes to natural light modalities, bigger is better for optimal benefits, which is why their modular system is so unique. I wanted my listeners to know they offer exclusive discounts on larger devices when you upgrade your system within the first year of your initial purchase. Their unique modular design lets you build a larger, full-body system over time, and their bundle pricing ensures you’ll pay only what you would have paid if you bought the larger system from the start. Find out more at joovv.com/wellnessmama and use the code wellnessmama for a free gift.