I seem to specialize in being passionate about controversial topics, and my guest today is right there with me. Dr. Amy Munro is a pediatrician with over 30 years of experience and she’s been following the research on EMFs and how they affect the body for decades.
Hiding under a rock isn’t an option last I checked, so Dr. Amy offers a long list of easy ways intercept electromagnetic frequencies in our homes with simple devices like an EMF kill switch. It’s an easy way to protect our families from EMFs until we know more about the long-term health effects.
Episode Highlights: EMF Kill Switch
- What volted gated calcium channels are and why they help explain how EMFs affect the body
- How EMFs increase reactive oxygen species in the body (that’s not a good thing)
- What reactive nitrogen species are and how EMFs contribute
- The way electrosmog exposure can create breaks in DNA
- How heat shock proteins are affected by EMFs
- The blood brain barrier and the unusual way it responds to EMF exposure
- Why studies show that EMFs suppress melatonin and how
- The result of thousands of studies on EMF exposure
- The real reason “non ionising radition” is still harmful
- How to measure and mitigate EMFs in your home
Quotables From Dr. Amy Munro
In my career as a pediatrician, I have seen changes, especially I would say in the last five years, that really our conventional thought has no explanation for.
The defenders of the telecom industry and technology will point out that there is no preponderance of proof on these studies. And it’s true that the results are mixed. Henry Lai, a professor at the University of Washington, did an analysis of studies, and overall, there was about a 56% rate that show that EMFs are harmful and a 44% rate that show that they are not. If you break it down by funding [and] take out the ones that are funded by industry, it will show you that about 67% are harmful and 28% are not harmful.
Solutions exist. Don’t get overwhelmed, take baby steps. It’s what inside of your home is what counts the most.
Resources We Mention
- EMF Kill Switch (Wellness Mama listeners receive 5% off with the code wellnessmama5)
- Smart plug with remote
- Volt meter
- EMF shields I use
- The Body Electric by Robert Becker and Gary Selden
- The Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan
- Blue light blocking glasses
More From Wellness Mama
- 73: The Truth About EMFs, WiFi, and Radiation (+ How to Avoid Them!)
- 120: A Real-Life Approach to Reducing EMFs with Dr. Libby Darnell
- 147: Using Heart Rate Variability with HeartMath to Stop Stress & Improve Nervous System Health
- 154: Understanding and Mitigating EMFs in the Home With Peter Sierck From EMFRF
- Manipulating Blue Light to Improve Health
- Why I Wear Blue Light Blocking Glasses (at Night)
- Is EMF Exposure Really a Big Deal?
Are you concerned about EMFs and electrosmog? Why or why not? Also, please take two minutes to leave a review on iTunes. I value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well!
Special Thanks to Today’s Sponsors!
This podcast is brought to you by Joovv red light therapy. I have been using therapeutic red light for years, and it’s part of my daily routine. So, if you’re not familiar with it, red light therapy, also called photobiomodulation, uses very specific wavelengths of light, which are in the 660 to 850-nanometer range, for clinically studied benefits, especially skin health, thyroid health, which is the reason I started using it, and reducing pain and inflammation, and so much more. It also has studies that show it can help hair regenerate and grow thicker and stronger, which is another wonderful benefit that I’ve noticed, and I’ve noticed a ton of skin benefits as well. It’s definitely become part of my life and my routine. Joovv, especially, they’re third-party tested, they’re validated by external studies, and they’re FDA-approved. They also have several different sizes of these red lights, in combination, that can fit in any sized home or apartment, and they have a new modular design which allows you to build a full-body system all at once or over time. You can check all of that out on their website. Go to joovv.com/wellnessmama and you can also grab a special gift with any order.
This podcast is brought to you by kidslovetoswim.com. I recently found this and absolutely adore this course, and I had to share it with you. We all know how important water safety is and how kids can drown in just minutes or seconds in a small amount of water, and especially if they don’t know how to swim. In fact, the inability to swim is one of the biggest factors linked to drowning. This is such an important issue, it’s a bigger risk for kids to drown in water than playing alone outside or walking to school by themselves. In fact, two children die every single day from accidental drowning, it’s a horrible and big important issue. And for this reason, swimming is so much more than just a sport, it’s a vital life skill that all of us need. But, I get it, it can be super intimidating and scary for kids. You already teach your kids their ABC’s and how to ride a bike and what foods help their body grow, and now you can teach them to swim safely at home with this online course. You get the skills of a certified water safety instructor and lifeguard and parent. And he teaches you in just five simple steps and in only 14 days how to take your kids to swimming proficiency in a fun engaging way that will increase their water ability drastically, and also their bond with you. Go to kidslovetoswim.com to find out how.