McCall McPherson is a PA and functional medicine doctor who is passionate about helping others with balancing thyroid hormones. Her cause is personal too … when doctor after doctor failed to help with her thyroid problems, she decided to take matters into her own hands and founded a functional medicine clinic focused on thyroid patients.
I know a little about this topic given my own health struggles … I can’t wait to dive in and compare notes!
Balancing Thyroid Hormones Naturally
After years of doctors mismanaging her case, McCall knew she needed answers. No one could explain away how she actually felt: so tired she could barely stay out of bed and awake past 6 p.m. (Side note: Sound like depression? McCall says depression and thyroid problems are two sides of the same coin.)
Hear her story and the path to healing she recommends for others with thyroid and autoimmune disorders. Also, don’t miss the amazing story of how she and her hubby rescued hundreds of people during the flooding due to Hurricane Harvey! It’s just one more reason I’m so honored to have her on the podcast today.
In This Episode You’ll Learn
- what the thyroid does and how you might know if yours isn’t optimal
- how to start balancing thyroid hormones, for good … and why they got out of balance in the first place
- decoding thyroid labs … and why it’s so hard to get the right diagnosis
- why you can have a thyroid problem even if your lab numbers are “normal”
- the real-life culprits behind thyroid disease (hint: not sleeping is one!)
- why TSH shouldn’t be the measure of thyroid hormone (and what should be)
- how T3 is like the gasoline that drives the metabolism (and how T4 is like crude oil)
- what to do when you’re on medication but not feeling better
- how to improve thyroid function naturally
- the role of food allergies in thyroid disease (as well as an alternative to allergy testing)
- why dairy is so addictive and how to break the addiction
- three big nutrients to get if you have thyroid disease: low dose iodine, zinc, selenium
- why a thyroid problem usually means an adrenal problem too (and how to start reversing it)
- and more!
Resources We Mention
- ModernThyroidClinic.com (with free gift)
- EverlyWell Thyroid Testing
- #StrengthinNeighbors Hurricane Harvey Support Group (Call 512-269-0797 to donate)
- How to Boost Thyroid Function Naturally
- How to Reduce Plastic Use
- My 30-Day Autoimmune Diet
- How to Get Kids to Eat Healthy Food
- Vitamin D
- Iodine (low-dose)
- Iodine Synergy
- Xymogen Med Caps T3
- Designs for Health (brand)
- Ortho molecular (brand)
- Pure Encapsulations (brand)
Do you suspect you have a thyroid condition? Do you struggle getting the right help? Please join the conversation below!
Special Thanks to Today’s Sponsors
This episode is brought to you by My Green Mattress. If you’ve been reading Wellness Mama, you know that I have used and recommended natural and organic mattresses for years. I’ve tried a lot of natural options and I love all the ones that we’ve tried. But I’ve been getting a lot of requests for a more budget friendly option that is good for kids. Which is why when our littlest needed a bigger mattress, we ordered one from My Green Mattress. They are GOT and GOLS certified, they are GREENGUARD certified and they’re completely natural. They’re also much less expensive than a lot of natural mattresses. Check them out and find out more at wellnessmama.com/go/green-mattress.
This episode is also brought you to by Joovv red light therapy, which has become an integral part of my daily routine and here’s why. Joovv lights increase ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate Production) through a specific red light wavelengths. This is a big deal ATP is responsible not just for energy, but pretty much everything that happens in your body. Also known as photobiomodulation, this well documented therapy benefits skin health, energy levels, recovery after injury or surgery, and thyroid health (which is what I’m using it for). Bonus: It’s also anti-aging since it increases collagen production and hair growth and reduces hair loss. You can check it out at wellnessmama.com/go/joovv.