One time, while on vacation and stranded in a Whole Foods while my husband was in a meeting (I guess there are worse places to get stranded!) I bought a bottle of chia seed kombucha. In hindsight, I don’t know why I bought it since I didn’t really expect to like it and I don’t usually just spend $4 on a whim…
Thankfully, I did try it and liked it, but unfortunately, I wasn’t going to spend $4 to get one very often.
I’ve written about chia seeds before and the ways that we use them: to make homemade pudding, thicken soups and sauces, in recipes, on salads, and in smoothies.
According to Mountain Rose Herbs they contain “Essential fatty acids alpha-linolenic and linoleic acid, mucin, strontium, 30% protein, vitamins A, B, E, and D, and minerals including calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sulphur, iron, iodine, copper, zinc, sodium, magnesium, manganese, niacin, thiamine, silicon, and anti-oxidants.”
Kombucha is also a favorite around our house (if you don’t know what it is or how to make it, here is the info). From a previous article:
Kombucha contains high levels of antioxidants, b-vitamins, probiotics, and glucaric acid. It has been reported to have a variety of health benefits including:
- liver detoxification
- improved pancreas function
- increased energy
- better digestion
- improved mood (helps with anxiety/depression)
- kills candida (yeast)
- helps nutrient assimilation
Combine chia seeds and kombucha and you have a health-boosting, energy giving super drink. I really enjoy the texture of the hydrated chia seeds, and this is a great on the go drink when I have a busy day.
How to Rehydrate Chia Seeds
This recipe works best with rehydrated chia seeds that have already somewhat gelled. To make this, combine:
- 1 part chia seeds
- 4 parts warm water
Stir well and leave in the refrigerator at least a few hours to rehydrate and gel. (A “part” can be whatever measure you want, a Tablespoon, ¼ cup, etc. I make this recipe with 1 part = ¼ cup, so ¼ cup chia seeds and 1 cup warm water.)
Where to Get Chia Seeds
How to Make Chia Seed Kombucha
Chia Seed Kombucha Energy Drink Recipe
- 1 cup already-brewed kombucha recipe here preferably with natural fruit/juice added and second ferment completed
- ¼ to ½ cup rehydrated chia seed gel - To Make: Add 1 part chia seeds to 4 parts warm water I usually mix ¼ cup seeds with 1 cup warm water. Stir well, put lid on, and leave in refrigerator for at least a few hours.
- Put as much rehydrated chia seed gel as desired in a cup or bottle.
- Add 1 cup or more of kombucha and stir well to incorporate.
- Drink and enjoy!
Are you a fan of chia seeds or kombucha? Ever tried them together? Share below!