Oh stretch marks…
I got them with my first, and have since gotten rid of them, even through four more pregnancies (and I haven’t gotten any new ones).
I think it is largely due to the healthier diet and lifestyle I’ve adopted during that time, but today I’m also sharing my salve that I make to help keep belly skin smooth during pregnancy. I call it Tiger Salve since I’ve often heard stretch marks referred to as “Tiger Stripes.”
Don’t get me wrong, I’m proud of my stretch marks and wouldn’t trade a second of motherhood for better abs, but I also prefer to avoid getting any more stripes! I do think that diet is a crucial part of pregnancy health though, so this alone won’t keep stretch marks away for everyone…
Pregnancy Stretch Marks Salve Recipe
This salve is designed to keep skin supple so that it can accommodate a growing belly, but also to sooth any skin irritation that accompanies pregnancy. It’s also super simple to make, so I can even manage to remember the recipe when I have placenta brain…
Stretch Marks Salve Ingredients
- 1/4 cup Shea Butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3 Tablespoons Apricot Kernel Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Calendula flowers (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried ginger root
How to Make Stretch Marks Salve
- If using the calendula and dried ginger, add to Apricot Kernel or Almond Oil and place in a double boiler or bowl over a small pan of water. (or use a glass jar for easier clean up)
- Bring to a simmer and heat for 30 minutes on medium low heat to incorporate the properties of the herbs.
- Strain through a cheesecloth or metal strainer to remove herbs. YOu will want to make sure you still have at least 2 tablespoons of liquid oil left.
- Return the oil to the double boiler and add the shea butter and coconut oil.
- Heat until melted and stir to incorporate.
- Remove from heat and store in small glass jar.
- Add any pregnancy safe essential oils if desired.
- Use as needed on skin before, during or after pregnancy as needed.
Ever tried a salve for stretch marks? What have you done that’s helped get rid of them? Share below!