So…. I married an Italian who loves pasta and then researched my way into being mostly grain-free. Needless to say, he wasn’t thrilled when I stopped making pasta and I wanted to find alternatives. While there are gluten-free pastas now, like rice and quinoa pasta, I wanted to find a truly real-food version and turned to spaghetti squash and veggies noodles.
He may not completely agree, but I much prefer the spaghetti squash version to the “real” thing and it is especially delicious topped with pesto.
Pesto Chicken Pasta (without the Pasta)
Pesto chicken with spaghetti squash is a gluten-free pasta alternative that is packed with nutrition! It tastes really similar to the “real” pasta and even the kids love it. Chicken pesto pasta is a fragrant recipe that is great for fall when winter squash is in season!
This recipe uses spaghetti squash in place of pasta, which also boosts the nutrition of the recipe. The pesto and parmesan create a delicious flavor combination. Chicken pesto over spaghetti squash is delicious cold or re-heated for a meal on the go, and it can be thrown in to an omelet for an Italian flavor.
This is also a great way to preserve extra basil if you have an abundance in your garden.
Spaghetti Squash Pesto Chicken
Yield 4 -6
- Cut spaghetti squash in half, place face down in baking dish or on rimmed cookie sheet with small amount of water
- Bake until just tender and inside flakes away in noodle-like strings (do not overbake!)
- Scrape inside of squash out into large bowl-will resemble pasta
- Cook chicken (bake, pan-cook or boil) and put in bowl with pasta
- Add Pesto sauce and toss well
- Serve with Parmesan if desired
Do you like pesto What is your favorite way to use it?