My kids have been begging for ice cream lately, and since many of our family summer activities involve getting outside in the heat and humidity, I decided an inside project of learning to make coconut milk ice cream would be a fun break.
Coconut Milk & Ice Cream
This coconut milk ice cream recipe is similar to my original butter pecan ice cream (a family favorite), but makes use of the gorgeous seasonal strawberries that are available right now and is completely dairy free. If your family eats dairy, you could absolutely substitute an equal part mixture of whole milk and cream for the coconut milk in this recipe.
You could also make this with any berry or fruit (mango would be delicious as well), but strawberry is my personal favorite. Since this recipe uses only fresh strawberries (and not artificial dyes), it won’t have the bright pink color like some store bought versions.
Choose Your Method
There are two ways to make this ice cream:
- If you have an ice cream maker, just pour the mixture into the ice cream maker after chilling and follow the instructions on your machine. (This is the ice cream maker we have)
- If you don’t have an ice cream maker (or even if you do), try this simple tin can method for making ice cream by hand… just don’t use their recipe 😉
Strawberry Coconut Milk Ice Cream Recipe
- Heat the coconut milk and sweetener over medium heat until chosen sweetener is dissolved and mixture is hot. Do not let this boil!
- Remove from heat and temper in the egg yolks. To do this, beat the egg yolks in a blender or in a medium bowl with a whisk until smooth. Blending/whisking constantly, slowly add a small amount of the hot coconut milk mixture at a time until completely incorporated and smooth.
- Return the sweetened milk and egg mixture to pan, add the salt, and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, puree the fresh strawberries in the blender until smooth.
- Remove the coconut milk mixture from the heat, stir in the vanilla, and add mixture to the blender with the strawberries. Blend until mixed and completely smooth.
- Let mixture cool in the refrigerator for approximately 1 hour.
- Pour into ice cream maker (following instructions) or use tin can method. Freeze for 1 hour before serving.
Ever made your own homemade ice cream? What’s your favorite flavor? Share below!