I’d been craving (leptin problem maybe?) some Jerk Chicken lately, probably because the flavors remind me of the beach, which I am really craving…
Anyway, since there are no places around here that can make good Jerk chicken, I played around with recipes until I found this Caribbean Jerk Chicken Recipe, which is Ah-Mazing! If you like these flavors I highly recommend trying this recipe!
Note: Flavors are best if you let the chicken marinate overnight before cooking) Recipe serves 4-6 people and makes great leftovers to scramble in eggs for breakfast or take for lunches on the go.
Caribbean Jerk Chicken
Yield 4 -6
A delicious and healthy jerk chicken recipe.
- 1 whole chicken , halved (can have the butcher do this or can do it yourself with a sharp knife- cut lengthwise through the middle of the breast leaving a leg on each side). Can also just use chicken breasts (pictured) or thighs.
- 1 lime
- 1 large red onion
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon allspice- optional
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Dash of nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter or coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons spiced rum or apple cider vinegar (spiced rum is best and cooks off)
- I recommend serving with Roasted Squash and Apples:
- 1 lb zucchini or yellow squash
- 2 green apples
- 1 onion
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or olive oil
- Mix red onion, dried thyme, allspice,cinnamon, pepper, salt, nutmeg, green onion and butter and rum/vinegar in the food processor until it forms a paste (about 10 seconds)
- Cut the lime in half and squeeze the juice over the chicken and rub in.
- Rub the jerk seasoning paste over the chicken halves. Marinate at least a few hours or overnight if you can.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place chicken on a large roasting dish and place in oven.
- Peel and chop zucchini/squash, onion and green apple into bite sized pieces and coat with coconut oil or olive oil. Add additional spices if desired. I sprinkled with a dash of cinnamon, salt, pepper and thyme to mimic the jerk flavor.
- Place on a large baking sheet and place in oven.
- Cook both for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until chicken is cooked through. Check vegetables at 30 minutes and remove if needed.
- Remove chicken, let sit 10 minutes, remove from bone and serve with vegetables.
Do you like Jamaican/Caribbean flavors? Ever been there? Share below!