Winter may be on its way out, but some mornings my family still craves a warm, nourishing breakfast. Since I found out I’m allergic to eggs, my no-oat oatmeal is out and we wanted another healthy and hearty breakfast option.
Of course, we don’t do oatmeal around here and I’m not about to give my kids Cream of Wheat, so I love serving up a big bowl of this delicious coconut chia porridge. It’s grain free and the figs, pistachios, and vanilla beans give it a real depth that everyone in my family appreciates.
The best part: You can even combine the seeds and coconut ahead of time in a jar with your own choice of spices and dried fruit for an easy, ready-to-go, hot “cereal” mix.
As always, I buy all my ingredients in advance here so I can save money and time — I hope you and your family enjoy this hearty breakfast as much as we do!
Coconut Chia Porridge Recipe
A healthy hot breakfast cereal or porridge with chia sees, flax seeds, hemp, coconut, and figs + pistachios for flavor. Hearty and satisfying ...
- Pour the almond milk into a small saucepan.
- Slice vanilla bean in half lengthwise, and scrape seeds into milk.
- Warm the milk over medium heat until it comes to a gentle boil.
- Add the flax, chia, hemp seeds, and coconut and stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir until porridge thickens.
- Season with a small pinch of salt. Serve immediately with pistachios, figs, and honey drizzled over top.
Mix up a large batch of the seeds and coconut with whatever spices you like ahead of time, then just use a little less than ½ cup of the mix for each batch.
Serving Size 1 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 63.7 g
Saturated Fat 41.4 g
Cholesterol 15 mg
Sodium 281 mg
Total Carbohydrates 41.5 g
Dietary Fiber 17.3 g
Sugars 10.5 g
Protein 35.4 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
What is your best hearty breakfast recipe?