This is one of those super-easy but really impressive chicken recipes that even kids seem to enjoy because of the hidden ingredients inside. It’s also an easy chicken recipe to adapt and make grain free.
My kids ask for “Blue Chicken” often, and I hope you’ll enjoy it too! It takes a while to cook, but the end product is definitely worth it!
Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe (Gluten Free)
A healthy take on this delicious french favorite made with gluten free ingredients.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 8 slices of nitrate free ham
- 4 large slices of provolone or swiss cheese (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard (optional)
- 2 teaspoons homemade mayo (optional) or this store bought kind
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon tallow, coconut oil or lard, in liquid state
- Spices to taste: garlic, salt, pepper, etc. (I used about one teaspoon of each)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Carefully cut the chicken lengthwise to make a pocket but not all the way through.
- Roll the piece of cheese into a thin log, and make sure that it is shorter than the width of the chicken.
- Wrap the pieces of ham around the cheese and roll it up, securing the ends, so the cheese won’t ooze out. (can do this without the cheese)
- Spread the mustard and mayo inside the chicken (if using).
- Beat egg and put in a bowl.
- Add salt, pepper and other desired spices to the almond flour and put on a plate.
- Place the ham and cheese roll inside the chicken, then dredge in the egg mixture and then in the almond flour to coat, making sure the seam is especially well coated.
- Place in a well-greased oven safe baking dish.
- Put in oven for approximately 45-50 minutes or until completely cooked.
- When fully cooked, remove and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
What is your favorite chicken dish? Share below!