I’m so excited to share this Grain-Free Flatbread recipe with you—it’s become a favorite in my house and I know you’ll love it, too! There are three parts to this recipe, but it’s actually really easy to put together. You can also make any of the three recipes as a stand-alone side dish.
When making the switch to grain free, one of the biggest things most people miss is baked goods…
I’ve tinkered and toyed with so many different gluten- and grain-free recipes and this one is by far my favorite for flatbread. Of course, these “alternative” flours can get expensive—especially if you’re like me and like recipe testing and trying new things. TIP: I get all my ingredients for this recipe at Thrive Market—they have everything I need at huge discounts, delivered right to my “test kitchen” for free!
The flatbread is so versatile. You can turn it into a pizza (my kids love that!), use it to scoop up dips or simply top it with some (grass-fed!) butter and jam. My favorite way to eat this flatbread is to make it into little English muffin-sized rounds and top them with creamed spinach and an egg fried up in lard, which I also get at Thrive Market since they sell my favorite brand for less than I’ve seen it anywhere else!
It’s great for breakfast (a clean, healthy, modern take on Eggs Florentine) or do as we do in my family every so often and enjoy it as breakfast-for-dinner!
Grain Free Flatbread with Spinach and Egg
Paleo flatbread with creamed spinach and fried egg is a delicious meal for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- Whisk all the flours and salt together. Combine with the water until completely smooth.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. With a paper towel dipped in your coconut oil or ghee, lightly grease the pan.
- Pour a third of the batter into the pan. Let the bread cook and firm up on one side before flipping the batter. Cook the breads for roughly 2 minutes on each side, then reduce the heat, cover, and cook until firm and golden, taking care not to burn. Repeat for the other two breads.
Coconut Creamed Spinach
- 1 lb baby spinach
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Sea salt and pepper
- Coconut oil
What to do?
- Heat a knob of coconut oil in a large skillet and cook the spinach until just wilted. Transfer the spinach to a colander to drain out the excess water.
- In a small saucepan, sweat the shallots and garlic. Whisk in the coconut milk, dijon, lemon juice, and nutmeg. Cook and reduce slightly.
- Press all the excess water out of the spinach and return to the large skillet over medium heat. Pour in the coconut milk mixture, stir, and heat until warmed. Be careful not to overcook—we want the spinach to still stay bright in color!
- Season with salt, pepper, and lemon zest. Serve warm.
Heat some lard in a frying pan over medium heat. Crack in three eggs and let the edges crisp up. Cover and reduce the heat slightly so that the whites become firm but the yolks stay nice and runny. Top with a sprinkling of Maldon’s perfect flaky sea salt.
What foods do you miss since switching to healthy living?